SMART Storage Systems was recently acquired by SanDisk. It's a major acquisition that brings significant advantages for both companies. SMART now comes under the umbrella of one of the world's largest producers of NAND and has direct access to the fab. The combination of SMART's IP with SanDisk's already-expansive portfolio and decades of NAND innovation creates a new path forward for SanDisk's enterprise SSD portfolio.
SanDisk gains valuable controller technology from SMART, a company that prides itself on offering the lowest cost-per-TBW (Terabytes Written) ratio in the industry, and the IP behind Guardian Technology. The Guardian Technology is SMART's suite of advanced NAND management techniques that radically extends the useable life of NAND, allowing the use of consumer-grade MLC in enterprise environments.
The release of the CloudSpeed 1000E is a great example of SanDisk's new IP at work. The SATA 6Gb/s 7mm 2.5" SSD offers up tremendous endurance specifications that are among the highest attainable with consumer-class MLC flash. We were impressed with the performance offered by the CloudSpeed 500, and expanding upon the 500's endurance and performance, while simultaneously shrinking down to Toshiba 19nm, is quite the feat. SanDisk and Toshiba produce 19nm NAND together from their Flash Forward LTD joint venture, making the use of their 19nm MLC a great move for SanDisk as they move forward with SMART.
The CloudSpeed family of SSDs includes two models, the 1000 and the 1000E. The 1000 comes in standard capacities of 120GB, 240GB, 480GB and 960GB with 6% overprovisioning. For users that require more endurance there is the 1000E, with its 22% overprovisioning, offering higher endurance at capacities of 100GB, 200GB, 400GB and 800GB.
The Guardian Technology suite increases the endurance up to 3,070TBW for the 1000 model, and a whopping 7,680TBW for the 1000E. This segmentation allows users to select an SSD that accurately reflects the need of their environment, but aside from endurance and a slight tick in random write speed, the key features of the SSDs remain the same. Both models feature Tier-one OEM firmware, a key consideration with SanDisk now having enterprise SSDs qualified with six of the top seven storage OEMs.
The sustained throughput for both models weighs in at 450 MB/s read and 350 MB/s write, with the 1000 offering 80/20K read/write IOPS, and the 1000E experiences a slight write performance bump to 80/25K IOPS. Enterprise-class features is SMART's forte, so third generation power management (EverGuard) via power capacitors is a standard feature on their products. Data reliability is spec'd for 1 in 10E18 bits read, a 100X increase over the minimum required by the JEDEC JESD 218 spec for enterprise-grade SSDs. In the event of an error, the SSD can rebuild up to an entire NAND block. Data security comes in the form of AES-256, full data path protection and an impressive MTBF of 2.0 million hours.
The NAND shrink allows for high-capacity SSDs that will challenge many 2.5" HDDs for slots, and thermal monitoring protects the SSD from overheating in these dense configurations. Pairing this with a 5-year warranty sweetens the deal. So, let's now take a closer look at the performance of the new CloudSpeed 1000 Series over the next few pages.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege free-to-play trail beginning August 16th
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution