The battle of the mid-range video card models from both NVIDIA and AMD has been a strong one. They've both come in at a similar price point; saying that, though, we know that the NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti Boost comes in slightly higher, but at the same time offers double the amount of memory with 2GB, and slightly more performance.
The AMD Radeon HD 7790 comes in at around $20 less, is a little bit slower and also comes with only half the memory. Testing of the Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC the other day also showed us that doubling the memory really did nothing for overall performance (literally), especially when talking about a real-world playable difference.
The problem is that between the two video cards we have quite a major difference that separates them and for us it's probably what makes the decision to choose one model over the other. AMD have become very aggressive with game bundling over the last six months, and that hasn't just stopped with the high-end models, it's also carried down to the lower-end ones as well.
We'll talk about that all more a little bit later, though. For now we've got to take a closer look at the package of the MSI Radeon HD 7790 1GB OC which we're looking at today, before moving onto the card itself. Due to the fact that we've already looked at a couple of HD 7790's already, we'll today be firing up MSI Afterburner and checking out the overclocking on this particular model.
Once we've covered both the out of the box specifications and what we did on the overclocking side of things, we'll look at our testbed, cover the cards that you'll see in our graphs here today, and get stuck into the performance. As we mentioned, though, the first thing we need to do is see what's going on with the bundle.
Checking out the box you can see that the design isn't anything too fancy. Unlike the recent MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB we looked at, this card doesn't fall under the new gaming series that MSI recently created. Overall it's a fairly standard layout, though, with the main information on the front and the back of the box giving us a bit more detail.
Moving inside the package you can see there's not a whole with just a Quick User Guide, driver CD and a DVI to VGA connector to round off the bundle.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mortal Kombat 11 DLC leaked: Joker, Terminator, Spawn & more
- Mortal Kombat 11 official chilling 'Frost' gameplay trailer
- The next-gen Xbox will be even more powerful than the PS5
- PlayStation 5 rumor: $399 price with AMD Zen 2 and Navi tech
- Sony's huge 98-inch 8K TV costs $70,000, perfect for PS5
- Tesla Breaks Up With NVIDIA, Announces New Self-Driving Chip
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Preview
- What would work best for a 24/7 server type computer?
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Review
- How to booking a escort via internet
- SportDOG Brand YardTrainer 100 is the Affordable Tool for Basic Obedience Training
- Smartphones Could Cost You 40% More if You Don't Compare Prices
- LG SIGNATURE Presents Exquisite Art Installation At Milan Design Week 2019
- Purchasing Greeting Cards Just Got A Whole Lot Easier With The Card Isle Print-at-Home Platform
- TCL Communication launches its first Alcatel-branded smartphone on Verizon Wireless with the introduction of the Alcatel AVALON V