I'm going to preface this conclusion with a disclaimer: I prefer small notebooks as opposed to giant desktop replacements. With that said small systems still have to measure up to the same standards put forth by the review.
Small systems are usually at a disadvantage in most of these tests due to the space constraints imposed to keep the system small. However, through most of our testing, the Origin Eon-11S managed to keep pace with systems that out-class it in size. I'm extremely happy that Origin managed to smash a quad-core processor into an 11.6-inch machine. This makes it the most portable quad-core machine we've ever had come through our lab. Processing power is still important for those doing animation, CAD and other processor-intensive tasks.
While the screen leaves some to be desired, upping the resolution by very much would result in things being way too small to read. It would be nice to see the machine fitted with a matte screen to cut down on glare, though this isn't a deal breaker. I've always said that 1366x768 resolution is the bane of my existence, but on an 11.6-inch screen, it looks pretty good. Things appear sharp, though there is a limit to how many different items you can fit on-screen at one time.
The keyboard isn't the best if you're going to be using it heavily, but with some practice you could get over the cramped feeling. It does provide a nice, albeit cramped, typing experience and works just fine for gaming. As I noted previously, it doesn't have a backlight, but this is to be expected in a machine as small as this.
The solid-state drive that Origin has equipped this review machine with is more than fast enough, though you will be limited with how much data you can carry around with you as it only has one drive slot. You'll also be using an external drive for any optical disks you may still need. Our review sample shipped some time ago now and newer versions of this laptop will ship with a faster 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, one of the fastest consumer drives on the market currently.
8GB of RAM is plenty of RAM and follows my general rule of thumb of 1GB per thread, though you can of course up this to 16GB if you need it for your specific application.
Battery life, as shown by the MobileMark test, is one of the longest we've seen out of a system, so you'll have a great experience taking this on the road with you. It's light, portable, and stylish and fits into nearly any backpack. For women with extremely large purses, you may even be able to fit it into your purse.
I can't leave this review without saying that I absolutely love the backside of the screen. The red color that Origin has used is fabulous and is painted on with that rubberized paint that is sometimes used on a mobile phone. It makes carrying the device that much easier, and it just feels great.
Another interesting note is that all work done by Origin is free regardless of whether you are in warranty or not. An out-of-warranty PC is repaired for just the cost of parts. Origin also offers 24/7 US-based phone support.
I can highly recommend both the system and the company. Due to the absolutely awesome performance, all-around quality, and reasonable price tag exhibited from this pint-sized machine, I've awarded the Origin EON11-S with our Editor's Choice award.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Layers of Fear 2 trailer cruises the midnight seas
- How to redeem your Piranha Plant, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Square Enix to make more HD-2D games like Octopath Traveler
- Nintendo to miss 20 million Switch sales, analysts predict
- Decidueye was considered for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019