Looking at the performance of the new AMD FX-8150 in our original launch coverage is really important. It's important to cover those synthetic benchmarks as well as those CPU orientated tests like Media Encoding and Image Manipulation. You can't really test a new CPU, nor come to any form of real conclusion without covering those areas.
The problem is, you can't cover a CPU properly without going into detail to see how it performs in games, because we know that a large portion of users who are going to jump on any new platform, be it Bulldozer or the already established Sandy Bridge one, intend to do a lot of gaming.
So what we'll be looking at today is the performance of the new FX-8150 against the much loved i7 2600k. Because both brands have so much focus on the overclocking side of things, that was today our focus as well. If you're going to opt for a high end CPU and video card, you want to make sure that you don't create any kind of bottleneck which is of course another reason why we're overclocking here today.
Because we've already gone into detail on the FX-8150 and the Bulldozer launch in detail, there's not much that has to be covered. Instead we can just get into the testbed side of things to see what exactly our setup has in it while also covering the overclock we're going to be running today.
Once that's done we'll of course get into the benchmark side of things where we're not just looking to see who is the fastest, but to see what setup makes sure we can play our games. The simple fact is if one setup is running at 150 FPS and the other is at 200 FPS, while one is clearly faster, those 50 FPS extra do absolutely nothing for performance. So let's not drag on any longer and just get into the testbed setup before we get into the performance side of things and we can see exactly what's going on with the platform here.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY Global, just $12.32
- Nintendo and Microsoft take a 'cross-play' jab at Sony
- Rare does Sea of Thieves 'roundtable' meeting at E3 2018
- Steam Summer Sale 2018, two weeks of CRAZY low prices
- Best SSD For Gaming: Over 120 SSDs Tested!
- Vampyr Review: Bloody Rare
- ASROCK X370 and MB STICKS
- Aten Thunderbolt 3 Multiport Dock
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit