The Matrix Resurrections is now out in the wild in both theaters across the world, and streaming service HBO Max -- but man, it really hasn't done well at the box office -- Spider-Man: No Way Home has absolutely destroyed the fourth Matrix movie.
The very-meta, not-so-groundbreaking Matrix Resurrections has only clutched at straws to bring $22.8 million in the 5 days since it opened in theaters on December 21, but when you compare that to Disney and its new MCU entry with Spider-Man: No Way Home, which has made a staggering $1 billion since its release just days before The Matrix Resurrections.
Spider-Man: No Way Home is the first movie to break $1 billion at the box office post-pandemic, so that's a big deal -- making The Matrix Resurrections (a multi-billion-dollar franchise) and its $22.8M five-day haul look like Neo took the blue pill in comparison. Now, to be clear: these are US box office numbers -- global box office numbers for The Matrix Resurrections aren't much better, with the Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss-led movie bringing in $69.8 million during its debut weekend globally.
- Read more: Keanu Reeves: 'don't you f***ing stream' The Matrix Resurrections
- Read more: NVIDIA is giving away a Matrix Resurrections GeForce RTX gaming PC
- Read more: Check out this Matrix Awakens vs Matrix movie comparison
- Read more: The Matrix Awakens on PS5 looks better than The Matrix Reloaded
- Read more: Keanu Reeves says 'it's ridiculous' that there isn't a new Matrix game
- Read more: The Matrix Resurrections second trailer, check it out here
The Matrix Resurrections is out now in theaters, and depending on your market you can stream it on HBO Max.
- > NEXT STORY: First Epic Games, now Tencent is helping Remedy realize its dreams
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Stormlight Archive, Mistborn writer Brandon Sanderson is making a game