The hype train for NVIDIA's next-gen Ampere GPU is really starting to gain traction, with new rumors fueling the release window of Ampere in 2020.
We heard about the purported GeForce RTX 3000 series cards not too long ago now, with NVIDIA reportedly preparing the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GeForce RTX 3080, and GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards for 2020. But the big question is when exactly, in 2020?
Raymond James analyst Chris Caso has said that NVIDIA reportedly pushed Ampere back by a few months, with Team Green aiming for a GTC 2020 reveal and Computex 2020 release. Caso adds that Ampere will be introduced at GTC 2020 in a big way as an AI/datacenter/HPC product, and then an Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3000 series family of cards will launch in the months after.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 12GB
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 12GB
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti - 16GB
In our last report about NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 3000 series, rumor has it that they will not just be faster and more superior in every single way (more VRAM, better ray tracing performance, etc) but they will be cheaper.
NVIDIA unleashed the GeForce RTX 2000 series and the Turing architecture at a pretty high price point, and while gamers still scooped them up like hotcakes, AMD now has Navi here with its Radeon RX 5700 series.
AMD will be unleashing RDNA 2-based "NVIDIA Killer" GPUs in 2020, which is something I'm hearing from my sources that NVIDIA is quietly preparing for behind the scenes. NVIDIA doesn't really have anything to worry about at this stage, and even for a generation or two as they're so far ahead of the game at the flagship level it's not funny.
NVIDIA's flagship GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is still a force to be reckoned with, and nothing comes remotely close to it from AMD right now. NVIDIA will surely beat the RTX 2080 Ti by 15-30% with its Ampere-based RTX 3080 Ti, which will see NVIDIA at untold levels of dominance in 2020.
But... I wouldn't be counting on AMD to take this round laying down...
Last updated: Nov 12, 2019 at 06:44 pm CST
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080/3080 Ti: more VRAM, way faster and CHEAPER?!
- NVIDIA Ampere: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti is 40% faster than RTX 2080 Ti
- Analyst: NVIDIA to launch next-gen 7nm GPU in the next 9 months
- NVIDIA delays GTC announcement of Ampere GPU over COVID-19 coronavirus
- > NEXT STORY: Samsung Galaxy S11 leaked specs: 5G + 108MP camera
- < PREVIOUS STORY: This NES controller mouse is actually brilliant