A press release from Athlon Games have revealed that the company will be partnering with Middle-Earth Enterprises to begin development on a new Middle-Earth based free-to-play MMORPG.
For those that don't know, Middle-Earth Enterprises owns all of the exclusive world-wide rights to Tolkeins Legendarium, this includes all rights to motion picture, merchandising, stage pieces and all literary works from J.R.R Tolkein. According to the announcement from Athlon Games, the developer has partnered with Middle-Earth Enterprises to bring gamers a completely free-to-play MMORPG based in the world of Middle-Earth.
The motives behind this decision are from the owners of Athlon Games, Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited ( the "Company"). The Company and "the Board believes that the development and publishing of this new title based on The Lord of the Rings will help further the Group's goal of creating top quality console and PC games that have global appeal and expand the Group's footprint in the West." Unfortunately, there is no further information on the title, hopefully as we progress throughout the rest of the year we hear more about the future Middle-Earth themed free-to-play MMORPG. If you desire to read the official announcement, the document can be viewed here.
Last updated: Sep 5, 2018 at 06:11 am CDT
- First time seeing Earth from the ISS was 'Meh', says NASA astronaut
- Fan remake of Battle For Middle-Earth in Unreal Engine 4 is incredible
- Amazon is already working on Lord of the Rings TV series 'Season 2'
- Earth's solar system position plays a major role in climate change
- This 1:1 scale Earth built in Minecraft is safe from coronavirus
- > NEXT STORY: Henry Cavill to play Geralt in Netflix Witcher series
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Rayman doesn't come to Smash Ultimate, instead Brawlhalla