After years of hard development work, Insomniac has wrapped its massive new Spider-Man title.
Sony's substantial new PS4 exclusive Spider-Man game has gone gold, meaning its now officially finished and ready to be shipped for its September release date. The game has garnered massive hype for its rather enticing web-slinging and beat-em-up combat action, bringing to mind classic PS2-era games melded with updated graphics, advanced physics systems, and a wider sandbox.
Spider-Man is expected to drive PS4 console sales ahead of Sony's big holiday push and engage the existing playerbase with more singleplayer content, and should be a contender among 2018's biggest games. NPD Group analyst Mat Piscatella predicts Insomniac's Spider-Man will sit in this year's top ten sellers, albeit at the #10 slot.
Insomniac Games' Spider-Man will be locked to 30FPS on both PS4 and PS4 Pro, but the higher-end system will receive 4K enhancement updates for UHDTVs and likely super-sampled visuals for 1080p sets. Here are a few more tidbits gleaned from creative director Bryan Intihar:
- Open world New York is several times bigger than Sunset Overdrive's
- There are tons of alternate costumes
- "Hell no" to microtransactions being in the game
- Game takes place across a few weeks time
- Fast-travel via the subway
- Mary Jane is playable in the game
- Post-release content planned (three DLC packs with missions and more)
- Photo mode confirmed
Spider-Man comes out on September 7 exclusively for Sony's PlayStation 4 platform.
We are pleased to announce that #SpiderManPS4 has GONE GOLD for its worldwide release on September 7th. Thanks to @PlayStation and @MarvelGames for their support in the creation of this original Spider-Man adventure. pic.twitter.com/iD4mJmqGfK— Insomniac Games (@insomniacgames) July 30, 2018
- >> NEXT STORY: EA stops giving out free Origin games
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Bandai Namco to double down on new IPs