Nintendo today confirmed some very disappointing news: the Switch won't have any Virtual Console support when it launches on March 3.
"Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch. We will share more information in the future," Nintendo confirmed in a recent press release.
Instead of Virtual Console games, the Switch will have three indie games (aka Nindies) available on the eShop, along with the previously announced retail launch games:
This year, Nintendo eShop will be home to more than 60 indie games, in addition to digital versions of packaged games, DLC and more. Three indies that will launch at the same time as the system on March 3 are:
- FAST RMX from Shin'en Multimedia: Challenge your friends to local split-screen competition or take part in online races against players from all over the world. This lightning-fast anti-gravity racer is exclusive to Nintendo Switch.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment from Yacht Club Games: The latest DLC for the critically acclaimed hit Shovel Knight is a full-featured game starring Specter Knight, one of the enemies from the original game. The massive campaign includes even more content than the last DLC, Plague of Shadows. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is exclusive to Nintendo Switch for a limited time.
- Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove from Yacht Club Games: For Shovel Knight's biggest fans, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove includes the original Shovel Knight game, as well as all previously released DLC - even Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment! Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will be exclusive to Nintendo Switch for a limited time.
So there you have it folks. The Switch will not have any Virtual Console integration when it releases, significantly impacting the system's functionality and features.
- >> NEXT STORY: Nintendo Switch requires day one update to access eShop
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Digital Nintendo Switch games locked to one console