If you're experiencing any problems or anomalies with BF1942, it's a good idea to have a good, clean installation of the game to work with. The following covers briefly how to do just that:
- If you need to reinstall BF1942, uninstall it first through Control Panel>Add/Remove programs. Then manually delete the program directory. Then use Regcleaner (download link and instructions in my WinXP Tweak Guide) to completely clean out your registry. Then reboot and reinstall.
- Don't install BF1942 while your PC is highly overclocked. If your machine is overclocked, set it to an overclock you know is completely stable and in particular make sure your CPU is not at its absolute limits. Subtle data corruption can often occur from CPU/RAM that is pushed too far and this can ruin your installation.
- Uninstall the BF1942 Demo if you have it installed. Do this through Control Panel>Add/Remove programs. Then manually go into Windows Explorer and delete the BF1942 Demo directory and all its contents.
- Disable any antivirus programs you have running in the background, such as Norton Antivirus. These are notorious for causing install problems, and the game developers themselves recommend you turn them off completely while installing/playing the game. If in doubt, check my WinXP Guide for details on how to disable programs that load at startup like Nortons. In general, the fewer programs that are running in the background while installing (and playing) BF1942, the better.
After you've done a full installation of BF1942, or even after patching the game, it's essential that you run Windows Defrag. This may or may not take a long time to complete, but it's absolutely necessary if you want smooth gameplay.
Official, No-CD and Blood Patches
There are several different types of patches you can install for BF1942. Each is covered below.
EA Games has released several official patches for BF1942, containing a range of changes, including bug fixes and performance improvements which are important for getting the best performance out of the game. I highly recommend that you download and install the latest patch, Version 1.6.19 from the Official BF1942 Website. Once downloaded, simply run the patch file and it will automatically update your installation of BF1942. Make sure you're not using a No-CD when you run the patch (see below for details). Note that you do not need to download or install any earlier versions of the patch, as version 1.6.19 already contains all the changes from previous patch versions.
Note also that after the patch you may lose all your edited .con file settings, so re-edit those including the vital Videodefault.con file "renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1" setting, otherwise you may crash to desktop when attempting to run BF1942.
Note: With the introduction of Punkbuster anti-cheating software to BF1942, changes to the file structure of BF1942 (including No-CDs) will typically be caught as a "cheat" by Punkbuster. Do not use a No-CD or any other altered files if you want to avoid being booted and even banned while playing online. There are other methods of using BF1942 without your CD in the drive, such as creating a 1:1 image of your BF1942 Disk1 on your hard drive and using Daemon Tools to mount the image. Due to the detailed nature of this procedure and the likelihood for use in piracy, details aren't given here.
As we say here at TweakTown, if a game is worth playing, it's worth buying. That means you'll get no pat on the back from me for using warez. However I do understand how annoying it is for legitimate users of BF1942 to have to keep the game CD in the drive just to play, especially when there's a quick and easy way around it.
Go to GameCopyWorld, and head for the Battlefield 1942 Section, or alternatively try the BF1942 section of Megagames. Find the No-CD version which matches the latest BF1942 version (e.g. BF1942 v1.6.19 Fixed EXE). Download it to an empty folder, then follow these instructions to correctly install the No-CD:
2. Go to the directory where you installed BF1942 (typically C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942), and rename the original BF1942.exe file there to something else, e.g. BF1942.Real_exe. Don't delete or overwrite this file, you'll need it for future upgrades through patches.
3. Copy the No-CD patched BF1942.exe and the BF1942.org files into the same directory as the existing (but renamed) BF1942.exe.
4. Go to the directory where the original Mod.dll file sits (typically C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\BF1942) and rename it to something like Mod.Real_dll, making sure you don't delete or overwrite it. Copy the No-CD patched Mod.dll into this directory.
5. If you have the Road to Rome expansion pack installed, go to the new XPack1 directory (typically C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\XPack1) and rename the existing Mod.dll file there and replace it with the new No-CD Mod.dll file.
6. If you have the Secret Weapons of WWII expansion pack installed, go to the XPack2 directory (typically C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\XPack2) and rename the existing Mod.dll file there and replace it with the new No-CD Mod.dll file.
If there are any .reg files or otherwise as part of the No-CD package, don't use them as they're designed for stripped-down pirated versions of BF1942. Only follow the steps above and everything should work.
Now remove your original CD from the drive and put it safely away. The next time you run BF1942 it won't check the CD drive and you'll load up much faster. You can also connect to a server and as long as you have a legitimate CD Key, you'll be able to play on the internet without the CD either.
Some things to note are that each No-CD patch will only work with the version indicated. That is, a version 1.45 No-CD patch won't work with version 1.6.19 of BF1942 for example, so don't bother trying. As patches are released for the game, you'll need to delete the existing No-CD patched BF1942.exe, BF1942.org and Mod.dll files. Then rename the original BF1942.exe back to BF1942.exe, download and apply the patch, then check back at Gamecopyworld to get the latest No-CD file to match your new program version and go through steps above again. Attempting to apply a patch over the No-CD version of BF1942.exe may result in errors and will usually fail.
A blood patch is a modification which allows you to see blood when you shoot other players. By default BF1942 doesn't show any blood to lessen the realism of the violence. If you think you can handle a bit of the ol' raspberry jam then you can download a blood patch from here. Installation is simple, just download the file, extract the contents and run the installer.exe file and the next time you start up BF1942, you'll see blood from wounds. If it's not to your taste, or it gives you problems for some reason, you can easily remove it by running the uninstaller.exe.
And just a final word of warning: aside from the patches and the reliable sources for them linked to above, be very careful what you download and install. Some patches or modifications can actually be trojans (to damage/steal information from your PC) or can even ruin full versions of BF1942.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- TUNAI teases DRUM, high-res bass enhanced earphones
- Steam introduces Histograms to prevent review bombing
- i-rocks introduces K60M PLUS RGB mechanical keyboard
- Overwatch's next hero is playable, but wont be out soon
- PS4 & Xbox One cross-play briefly enabled for Fortnite
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower