Today, AMD dropped its new Mantle-enabled drivers in the form of the Catalyst 14.1 Beta drivers. For those not familiar with Mantle, we'll give you the quick rundown on AMD's hot new API.
Mantle is an Application Programming Interface (or API) that allows game developers to get deeper access to your GPU, and more specifically, your Graphics Core Next (or GCN) based GPU. Mantle acts like DirectX or OpenGL, but was built specifically as a lower-level API.
This means that Mantle is better built to work with modern GPUs, as the GCN architecture, and removes a lot of the bloat from the software bottleneck for improved performance. A majority of this is saved time and resources from CPU and GPU communication.
Mantle is a big proponent of removing CPU-bound hassles, especially with lower-cost, lower-performing APUs. The improvements using an AMD APU and a decent AMD GPU are massive; some gains are over 300%, which is unheard of in today's world of tech and gaming.
What you'll need is the Catalyst 14.1 Beta drivers , and a compatible Radeon GPU of course.
We used two SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290Xs in CrossFire for our testing, on our Seiki Digital 39-inch 4K TV at 3840x2160.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 32, RX Vega 28 rumored to be coming
- AMD's new drivers add CrossFire support to RX Vega
- Intel working on dual-core i3-7360X for X299
- Razer will announce a 'mobile device' later this year
- MSI shows off GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower