Today, AMD dropped its new Mantle-enabled drivers in the form of the Catalyst 14.1 Beta drivers. For those not familiar with Mantle, we'll give you the quick rundown on AMD's hot new API.
Mantle is an Application Programming Interface (or API) that allows game developers to get deeper access to your GPU, and more specifically, your Graphics Core Next (or GCN) based GPU. Mantle acts like DirectX or OpenGL, but was built specifically as a lower-level API.
This means that Mantle is better built to work with modern GPUs, as the GCN architecture, and removes a lot of the bloat from the software bottleneck for improved performance. A majority of this is saved time and resources from CPU and GPU communication.
Mantle is a big proponent of removing CPU-bound hassles, especially with lower-cost, lower-performing APUs. The improvements using an AMD APU and a decent AMD GPU are massive; some gains are over 300%, which is unheard of in today's world of tech and gaming.
What you'll need is the Catalyst 14.1 Beta drivers , and a compatible Radeon GPU of course.
We used two SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290Xs in CrossFire for our testing, on our Seiki Digital 39-inch 4K TV at 3840x2160.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefront II microtransaction removal: 'no impact' to EA
- 4K 60FPS capture card handles Xbox One X, costs $400
- Legislators: Battlefront II is a Star Wars online casino
- Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age breaks 1 million sales
- Square Enix explains why it cut off Hitman dev
- I7-6700k, Gigabyte Aorus Z270X K7, Undervolt1.160
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard Review
- Outstanding Design and Performance - Deep Look into New MSI GE63VR 7RF Raider
- Mean:It 5PM ARC Blue Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ