Here are key points about the GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5.
ThunderBolt 3.0: The Z270X-UD5 costs $199.99 and at that price point you don't expect to find ThunderBolt 3.0, but alas, the Z270X-UD5 has the fastest consumer connection available. The ThunderBolt 3.0 port also doubles as a USB 3.1 port and supports 36W of output.
Workstation Features: The motherboard has a surprising number of features many would consider workstation-like. It is the first motherboard I have seen in the consumer arena that has a built-in POST speaker, two powered SATA DOM ports, and two COM ports. The vertical USB 2.0 type-A port could also be considered a workstation feature, capable of internally housing a USB key for expensive software.
Overclocking Features: The motherboard also carries a lot of overclocking features, including power, reset, clear CMOS, OC, and ECO buttons. It also offers a single BIOS mode switch, dual BIOS ROMs, voltage read points, and a POST-code display.
No-Nonsense Aesthetic: Some enthusiasts are extremely anti-RGB. They dislike how most motherboards light up and don't want to pay for RGB headers. The Z270X-UD5 has no RGB headers and no RGB LEDs. It's heat sink and PCB design also screams no-nonsense, it's simple and looks whole.
Dual Intel LAN: I didn't expect to find two Intel NICs on this motherboard since it also offers ThunderBolt 3.0, but the Z270X-UD5 has dual Intel NICs and ThunderBolt 3.0.
Single M.2 slot: Most motherboards at the $200 price point offer at least two M.2 slots since M.2 is the most popular platform for faster consumer drives. While the Z270X-UD5 only has a single M.2 slot, you do have the ability to add in more through the last PCI-E x16 slot which is wired to the PCH.
GIGABYTE's Z270X-UD5 represents a lot more than the continuation of the next UD5 iteration; it represents the continuation of GIGABYTE's entire Ultra Durable lineup.
The addition of more workstation features and high-end connectivity and removal of aesthetic ones such as RGB LEDs helps separate the Ultra Durable lineup from the Aorus gaming lineup.
GIGABYTE is hedging their bets on two segments of the enthusiast market, and the Z270X-UD5 is a perfect incarnation of the split in GIGABYTE's motherboard offerings. Some people want tons of gaming features, they like the gaming NICs and RGB LEDs, and others want a motherboard with workstation-like features but the ability to support high-end gaming as well, and that is what the Z270X-UD5 offers.
If you are in the market for a no-nonsense motherboard, capable of filling many shoes, then give it a look.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: GIGABYTE's matching of workstation, premium connectivity, and overclocking features into a no-nonsense motherboard results in the feature packed and affordable Z270X-UD5.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 Motherboard retails for $200 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 Motherboard retails for £296 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and Z270X-UD5 Overview]
- Page 3 [GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [GIGABYTE Z270X-UD5 Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Razer servers fail again, profiles flicked to default
- Final 'Ghost in the Shell' trailer drops in
- Elon Musk wants to link your brain to a machine
- Nintendo US boss: Switch reaction has been 'remarkable'
- PS4 Pro Media Player update includes 4K support
- OST to PST Converter
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- ASRock B150M PRO4V- Voltage Control ?
- N3150-ITX Mini-PCI Express Slot
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse