The Lenovo ThinkPad W540 mobile workstation provides users with a feature rich load out and offers great performance and value for the professional on the go.
We find ourselves on the go more often now and need a powerful mobile laptop/workstation out in the field. Several vendors provide these, and they each have their own following. Lenovo went to the drawing board and assembled a mobile workstation with components that complement each other well, and then Lenovo installed them in a case made of a carbon-fiber-plastic composite material that is strong, lightweight, and has an excellent feel to it.
Let's look at the specifications for the W540.
Basing the system on the 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4800MQ mobile processor with 4 cores/8 threads gives the W540 a powerful CPU that also uses low power. The NVIDIA Quadro K2100M with 2GB of RAM increases performance in demanding applications and workloads.
The NVIDIA Quadro K2100M uses NVIDIA Optimus Technology that will automatically switch to discrete graphics when needed, and that extends battery life without sacrificing high performance. The W540 uses a 256GB SSD, which gives it fast response, quick boot times, and low power use.
Lenovo offers two battery choices: a six-cell (5.2Ah) or a nine-cell (9.21Ah) battery. Our review unit came with the larger capacity nine-cell battery.
The display on our W540 is a 15.5-inch 3K IPS (2880x1620) (300 NITS) with an optional X-Rite Integrated Color Calibrator color sensor. The W540 also comes equipped with stereo speakers and Dolby Home Theater.
For extra security, the W540 has a fingerprint scanner and Intel vPro Technology. Intel vPro Technology makes managing the W540 in an enterprise type setting more convenient. You have the ability to manage, protect, repair, or locate deployed laptops from anywhere in the world.
PRICING: You can find the ThinkPad W540 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The ThinkPad W540 retails for $1,816.28 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard and Screen]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrading]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Del Toro says 'Hellboy 3' is dead
- The Galaxy Note7 might be coming back with a new battery
- Nier: Automata on PC likely delayed due to piracy fears
- Nintendo Switch runs cool, about 37C under load
- Samsung's next VR headset could come with a controller
- Are there any infos about the dk-05?
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league