The NAS market has really heated up this year. Personal, corporate and service based cloud computing have brought a new vigor to the industry. At the same time, reductions in cash flow have left companies asking for more features and expecting them at lower prices. The global war on energy and fossil fuels is driving power requirements down and putting a new emphasis on power efficiency. To meet the large list of demands, NAS manufacturers needed to go back to the drawing board, rethink their strategies, evaluate their designs from a new perspective and then finally execute with a laser like focus on the key areas that have emerged as features required for the next decade.
SATA / SAS 6Gb/s RAID, 8GB system memory, eight HDD bays, second generation Core i3 processor, PCIe all with HDMI and audio multimedia capabilities. You might think I'm talking about your dream PC, but these are just some of the features found on Thecus' new N8900 enterprise NAS server. The N8900 is a new breed of NAS that ushers in next generation features. These features will eventually become standard on most of these product types - three years from now. The N8900 is an advancement in technology, a one small step for man type of thing. The N8900 is revolutionary more than it is an evolution of an old design.
At the heart of the N8900 is a new second generation Core i3 processor that is as power efficient as it is capable of processing data. The i3-2120 processor uses two cores that branch into four threads all running at 3.3GHz at peak speed. Feeding the processor is 8GB of high performance DDR3. The combination gives the N8900 a powerful base for Thecus to build their software layer on top of.
Thecus' new software advances, many multi-core aware, are capable of running with greater efficiency as well. The new Thecus Software Development Kit (SDK) has allowed a dedicated community of programmers greater flexibility to build upon the already large list of free modules offered by Thecus directly. The program has been a huge success and Thecus owners are now able to use their NAS for several tasks instead of having a single NAS for each purpose.
Advances in virtual computing have put other strains on NAS servers. The largest is the amount of bandwidth to and from the NAS. When a NAS is doing the workload of ten systems it needs to be able to communicate ten times faster. Once limited to gigabit speeds, the N8900 surpasses that mark and ushers in full 10GbE performance with an optional add-in card. This can be multiplied with dual port 10GbE cards as well.
Let's take a look at all of the features before I get carried away in the intro.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- AMD Radeon RX Vega loses to GTX 1080 at 1080p
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives