The Gateway EC14D07u is a rarity in the ultraportable world today in that Gateway crams an optical drive into the machine. The drive is a DVD player and can burn both CDs and DVDs if needed as well. Typically, you don't get an optical drive in this class and this is what makes the Gateway EC14D07u really stand out in a crowded market.
The design of the Gateway EC14D07u is attractive, but it's getting old after seeing so many Gateway machines that look just like the EC14D07u. The glossy black lid of my test unit will be prone to scratches and smudges. Under the lid is a glossy LCD with HD resolution that works very well for playing movies and online video. Colors are sharp and the little machine has the GPU muscle to handle HD video on Hulu or YouTube without hiccups. Glare is something you will have to come to terms with; this screen has it as do all other screens in the class I have tested.
The keyboard is the same chicklet unit I have seen on most Gateway notebooks and from other companies in the last few months. The keyboard is average for the class with nicely sized keys and good tactile feel. Typing feedback is average and you can type on the machine all day in comfort. Being that the machine is an 11.6-inch notebook, the keys are smaller than your average full-size notebook or desktop keyboard.
Like many notebooks and netbooks today, the sound system on the Gateway EC14D07u is almost an afterthought. You can hear the sound it produces, but bass is virtually non-existent and the sound is mostly aimed at the mid-range. You can watch movies or listen to music in a pinch with onboard sound, but most users will want external speakers at home and headphones for use on the go.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- The Mad Max game looks absolutely stunning in 8K
- OSVR updates its hardware, delivers 1080p 120Hz display and more
- WhatsApp is now home to 900 million users
- Toyota pledges $50 million into autonomous car research centers at MIT
- PowerColor's new dual-GPU has 16GB of VRAM, requires 1000W of power
- Reset BIOS on ASRock Beebox N3150 w/o mouse/keyb.
- Gigabyte GA-170-DH3
- TP-LINK Archer C3200 Tri-Band AC3200 Wireless Router Review
- Does my motherbord support this RAM ?
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015