If we look at all of the specifications all at once it gets a bit overwhelming, so we are going to break them down into two groups, hardware and software.
Here we see that the N7700 is designed to use seven hard drives and has an option to use an eighth via an eSATA port on the back. The unit features two gigabit ethernet ports that can be "teamed" with Link Aggregation to nearly double the throughput to the network.
The N7700 uses a genuine Intel Celeron processor and comes with one of its two memory slots filled. It is possible to add more DDR2 memory to the unit as you so desire, but as you will soon see the N7700 performs very well in the stock configuration.
As with all of the Thecus products we have looked at, Thecus is always improving upon their initial firmware release. It seems like every three to six months they update the products firmware and include new features. You can see the latest improvements to the software code on this page .
As far as the initial firmware that the N7700 has installed out of the box, it is pretty much flawless. We didn't have any issues at all and were surprised at first to see so many consumer friendly options available on this enterprise product. The multimedia options were carried over and improved upon from the N5200 and N5200 Pro; our test Playstation 3 recognized the N7700 right away and we were blasting tunes in the living room within minutes of setup.
Setup on many NAS servers has always been the Achilles heel , but not with the Thecus products we have looked at. The N7700 is the same way; nothing could be easier to configure the NAS as long as you have a basic understanding of the way networks work. When I say basic, I really do mean basic. Out of the box the NAS is configured to pull an IP address and the included PC software allows you to instantly set the NAS up for elementary functions.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Hardware and Software Specifications]
- Page 3 [Server Capabilities, Availability and Cost]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The Thecus N7700]
- Page 6 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 7 [The Software Basics]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Backup / Content]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 5G spec: 20Gbps down, 1 million devices per square km
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications