Although I liked the performance of the TRENDnet TEW-645UB, I found its size to be awkward. You certainly would not use this adapter for your laptop. For a desktop it is great and does provide very good speed and coverage.
There were a few drawbacks to using the 645UB, though, if you have a mixture of slower/older wireless technology, the 645UB seems to place its own speed limit on itself. I found that with n, g, and b speeds enabled on the D-Link DIR-655, the TEW-645UB would not perform faster than 65Mbps. If I shut off b it would jump to 135Mbps and with only n enabled I was able to hit as high as 200Mbps.
The latter speed was not consistent; I am not sure if it is the adapter or the D-Link router that was the cause. This behavior was not present on the TP-Link or Intel adapters. They were both able to perform at high speed, even with b enabled.
With that all said and done, the TRENDnet TEW-645UB is still a good pick up at $39.99 USD from Newegg with its ability to maintain solid performance at distances other adapters struggle with.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows 10 changelog site launched
- Tales of Symphonia mod fixes stuttering, resolution issues
- ViewSonic's 4K FreeSync capable gaming monitor now available
- FCC filing confirms 3600mAh battery for Galaxy S7 Edge
- Voice dictation coming to Apple TV
- Cougar 450M Ambidextrous Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance