Although I liked the performance of the TRENDnet TEW-645UB, I found its size to be awkward. You certainly would not use this adapter for your laptop. For a desktop it is great and does provide very good speed and coverage.
There were a few drawbacks to using the 645UB, though, if you have a mixture of slower/older wireless technology, the 645UB seems to place its own speed limit on itself. I found that with n, g, and b speeds enabled on the D-Link DIR-655, the TEW-645UB would not perform faster than 65Mbps. If I shut off b it would jump to 135Mbps and with only n enabled I was able to hit as high as 200Mbps.
The latter speed was not consistent; I am not sure if it is the adapter or the D-Link router that was the cause. This behavior was not present on the TP-Link or Intel adapters. They were both able to perform at high speed, even with b enabled.
With that all said and done, the TRENDnet TEW-645UB is still a good pick up at $39.99 USD from Newegg with its ability to maintain solid performance at distances other adapters struggle with.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NZXT shows off new Puck cable management system
- Switch's add-on box to use the cloud to boost GPU power?
- GabeN admits Steam support needs more work
- First all-electric car ever to complete the Dakar rally
- LG announces X300, an entry-level smartphone
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup