Although I liked the performance of the TRENDnet TEW-645UB, I found its size to be awkward. You certainly would not use this adapter for your laptop. For a desktop it is great and does provide very good speed and coverage.
There were a few drawbacks to using the 645UB, though, if you have a mixture of slower/older wireless technology, the 645UB seems to place its own speed limit on itself. I found that with n, g, and b speeds enabled on the D-Link DIR-655, the TEW-645UB would not perform faster than 65Mbps. If I shut off b it would jump to 135Mbps and with only n enabled I was able to hit as high as 200Mbps.
The latter speed was not consistent; I am not sure if it is the adapter or the D-Link router that was the cause. This behavior was not present on the TP-Link or Intel adapters. They were both able to perform at high speed, even with b enabled.
With that all said and done, the TRENDnet TEW-645UB is still a good pick up at $39.99 USD from Newegg with its ability to maintain solid performance at distances other adapters struggle with.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset