Like the Sila, I have had the MR2200ac since early November maybe even October. With new platforms arriving every week I often get a week or two at the most to evaluate the performance of a router in my own home network. With the Synology, I was able to use it for most of December before finalizing my testing and writing this article. That said, I'm quite impressed with the hardware Synology has put together for such a low price. Further, I think competing vendors have taken notice as well as many have released comparable solutions priced similarly.
Build quality is equal to the RT19 or 2600ac and really typical for consumer router platforms. I do like Synology has opted for internal antennas on this platform as the unit is already a vertically oriented solution, antennas would only make it taller. The front-mounted LED system is quite helpful in placing the node during setup and on that subject adding the MR2200ac to an existing RT2600ac as a node is as simple as a few clicks in SRM.
The performance was superb in 5GHz, where I was able to reach 661Mbps second only to the ASUS Lyra in testing. 2.4GHz performance came in at 99Mbps, average among recent 2:2 mesh platforms and backhaul while decent was a bit low to sustain the 5GHz performance across nodes, peaking at 493Mbps.
The MR2200ac is a unique platform that while being designed as a mesh node fit for pairing with your RT2600ac can really function quite easily as an entry-level router. In fact, the hardware used in this platform is equal to much more expensive solutions like Google Wi-Fi, Linksys Velop and Orbi. That said Synology has positioned the MR2200ac perfectly, offering it at a $139.99 MSRP making it cost effective when building out your home network, especially if you already rely on them for network storage.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Overall TweakTown Rating||85%|
The Bottom Line: The MR2200ac completes Synologys Wi-Fi 5 portfolio with a mesh node that offers the performance we want at an amazing price.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Synology MR2200ac Mesh Router retails for $XXX at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The Synology MR2200ac Mesh Router retails for £XXX at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Scooby-Doo's 'Shaggy' added to JUMP FORCE roster by modder
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 'Joker' stage title 'Mementos'
- Guild Wars 2 developers prep for lay-offs and restructuring
- Nintendo Switch could feature Xbox Games Pass by end of 2019
- Did Blizzard just tease the 30th hero for Overwatch?
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Intrusive Ads on Tweaktown
- AxE: Alliance vs Empire preview: MMO mobile chaos
- random shutdown
- Kensington LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dock Review
- Realms of Arkania - Star Trail available for Xbox One
- Death Mark Coming Soon to Terrify Players on Steam
- The Way Remastered Reaches Top of Nintendo eShop EU Charts
- Batman: Arkham City for macOS updated to 64-bit
- Drop into TERA x PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Collaboration on March 5