Crucial's BX Series is their value line of SATA-based SSDs. Crucial's MX Series is their enthusiast line of SATA SSDs. To this point, the MX series has always held a sizable performance advantage over the value-oriented BX Series. With the BX300, the line has become blurred. The reason for this is the BX300 is the first Crucial SSD to feature 3D MLC (2-bit) flash.
Crucial has learned a lot from their previous BX Series SSDs and have applied that knowledge and experience toward making the BX300 one of the best price to performance values on the market today. The BX300 is indeed targeted at first-time SSD upgraders. As such, the BX300 is only offered in three capacities - 120, 240 and 480GB. This makes sense for a value line of SSDs because 240GB is overall the best-selling capacity point and new adopters aren't usually willing to shell out a lot of money for an SSD experience.
So, what can you expect when you upgrade your spinning rust bucket to a Crucial BX300? Your computer will boot in seconds, apps load almost instantly and files save faster. Crucial says the BX300 will give you about 300% better performance than a traditional mechanical HDD. The BX300 runs cooler, quieter (silent) and consumes far less power than an HDD.
Lower power consumption means longer battery life for laptop users. Crucial claims the BX300 is 90% more power efficient than an HDD. Additionally, SSDs are far more reliable than mechanical storage media. SSDs are superior to HDDs on all fronts. Once you have an SSD experience, you will never want to go back.
Crucial wants to make your transition to an SSD as seamless as possible. The BX300 comes with a free Acronis HD key. Acronis is the industry standard for easily cloning your existing HDD to a super-fast SSD. No need to reinstall your OS and applications; just clone in minutes and enjoy life in the fast lane. If that task seems a bit daunting,
Crucial again has you covered. Crucial offers a mobile-friendly guide for first-timers. The guide offers tips, videos and instructions that will help guide you along. If you still need assistance, Crucial also offers chat, phone, and email customer support to help with the install process. In addition to cloning software, the BX300 is fully compatible with Crucial's Storage Executive SSD software. Storage Executive allows for easy monitoring, maintenance and tuning of your Crucial SSD.
Storage Executive enables you to see how much storage you've used, monitor your drive's temperature, and enable the Momentum Cache feature, which makes SSD operations up to 10x faster. Momentum Cache allocates a small portion of system DRAM as a write buffer greatly increasing burst performance. Have a look at our Maxed-Out Performance (MOP) page to see what enabling Momentum Cache does to boost performance.
The power behind the BX300 is, as mentioned, its 3D MLC flash array. The value part comes from Crucial being the consumer arm of Micron. Micron is one of the world's largest manufactures of NAND Flash, and as such, they can deliver flash-based products much cheaper than third party vendors. Crucial can offer 3D MLC Flash-based SSDs for the same price as their competitors' TLC (3-bit) Flash-based SSDs. This is a big deal because MLC is superior to TLC for several reasons.
MLC performance is better than 3-bit, because it is faster to program 2-bits than it is 3-bits. MLC endurance is also better because 2-bit cells survive considerably more program/erase cycles than 3-bit cells. Power consumption is lower for MLC than it is TLC, because it takes less power to program 2-bits than it does 3-bits.
Crucial has once again teamed up with Silicon Motion. The BX300 is powered by SMI's venerable SM2258 SATA III controller. SMI's SM2258 4-channel controller has won us over because it delivers outstanding consumer workload performance, has proven itself to be one of the most reliable SATA controllers ever made and offers a ton of features. Those features include DEVSLP extreme low-power mode, active garbage collection, TRIM, SLC write acceleration, multistep data integrity, advanced error correcting technology and thermal monitoring.
A 3D MLC flash array paired with SMI's SM2258 controller sounds like a delicious combo to us, let's see how the BX300 performs.
Crucial BX300 240GB SATA III SSD:
- Sequential Read: up to 550 MB/s
- Sequential Write: up to 510 MB/s
- Max 4K Random Read Speed: up to 84,000 IOPS
- Max 4K Random Write Speed: up to 95,000 IOPS
- Endurance: 80TB
- MTBF: 1.5 Million Hours
- Warranty: 3-Year Limited Warranty
- Garbage Collection
- Software: Storage Executive, Acronis True Image HD Migration Software
Current Pricing: $87.99
Crucial pairs Silicon Motion's SM2258 controller with Micron 256Gbit 32-layer 3D MLC (Multi-Level-Cell) flash in BGA flash packages. Micron 256Gbit 2-bit 3D flash is built on proven floating gate architecture and manufacturing process. Floating gate technology gives Micron 3D flash the industry's highest areal density available today and CMOS under array keeps the footprint compact. BGA packaged flash is the good stuff, it is capable of higher bus speeds than TSOP packaged flash. Table caching is handled by a single Micron DDR3 DRAM cache package with a capacity of 1MB to 1GB DRAM to NAND ratio.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Crucial BX300 240GB SATA III SSD retails for $XXX at Amazon.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is called Shadowbringers
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions