While the CPU die touches the integrated heat spreader through the same TIM as the low core count (< 10) Intel CPUs, the actual die size of a high core count (HCC) CPU is larger, meaning that the heat is spread over more surface area.
For example, a 7980XE spreads heat over more integrated heat spreader area than the 7820X, as the die is larger. That allows us to actually have a chance of cooling the die with a water cooler and overclocking. I was able to easily get up to 4.4GHz on both the 7980XE and the 7960X, but I had to use 1.2v or less VCore, while I was okay with a bit more voltage with the 7900X. Make sure to also set your VCCIN to 2.0v or higher to maintain performance.
While cooling the CPU is of one concern, another is the amount of power the CPU will consume when overclocked. We are talking about an easy 500W when going towards 4.5GHz, and that means the VRM settings, both internal to the CPU and external through the motherboard need to be expanded, and you will also need active VRM cooling.
That is some intense power consumption, both at stock and overclocked.
Overclocking the CPU basically doubles the power consumption of the CPU, and you will need to take into account the motherboard's VRM, cooling, settings, and even the power supply to ensure you won't trigger multi-rail OCP protection. If you are aiming for 4.4GHz+, plan to pull 500W+ on a single 12v rail that goes to the CPU.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Nintendo to reveal 'Indie Highlights' games for Switch 2019
- Overwatch tease 'Lunar New Year' Chinese dynasty theme skins
- FromSoftware President wouldn't mind a Demon Souls Remaster
- Resident Evil 2 to get 'Ghost Survivors' mode after launch
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership
- ODEM Applauds Blockchain Centre Vilnius on Its First Anniversary
- Dale North Kicks Off PERFECT SELECTION Compilation Series