1080p 60FPS @ $139
Battlefield 1: NVIDIA has launched a GPU that is capable of playing games like Battlefield 1 at 1080p 60FPS on Ultra details (without AA enabled), and that's easy for the MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G. Enabling 1080p 60FPS gaming on the PC in a game as good looking as Battlefield 1 starting at $139 is damn good, really damn good. This is an amazing achievement for EA DICE, as they've made some improvements to their Frostbite engine that have made it incredibly efficient - so much so that a mid-range $109 graphics card in the GTX 1050 can run it at 1080p at nearly 60FPS average.
Overwatch: Blizzard has always made super-efficient games, which don't require crazy amounts of GPU horsepower. We saw the MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G hitting over 140FPS at 1080p without a problem. That's insane, as it means you can buy a 144Hz G-Sync display and the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and enjoy 144FPS average in Overwatch at 1080p. It's really an incredible thing to see at this price point for a game as popular as Overwatch.
Temps, Noise & Power
We were pushing the MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G to its limits, with hours of benchmarking and our new real-world gaming sessions with Battlefield 1 and Overwatch, but the card didn't budge. It was sitting comfortably at around 63C during Battlefield 1, with the fans barely spinning up to make noise.
As for the power consumption, our entire system was hitting 175W during Battlefield 1 - this is compared to the Radeon RX 480 reference card from AMD that consumes around 220W (and 250W at launch). The GeForce GTX 1070 consumes 215W for example, while the Radeon R9 Fury X hits 300W.
RX 470 vs. GTX 1050 Ti
This is where AMD has NVIDIA right now, as the Radeon RX 470 is faster than the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti in everything - and in a big way. The RX 470 is over $50 more expensive, but it is the faster card. The Radeon RX 460, on the other hand, is slower than the GTX 1050 Ti, and not far behind the GTX 1050.
The thing is, most people buying these mid-range cards will only have a 60Hz monitor, limiting your purchase decisions to something that hits around 60FPS, and not up to 90-100FPS like the RX 470. But Anthony, more performance is better - why are you telling us to buy the cheaper card? Easy: performance per dollar. NVIDIA wins at performance bang for the buck with the GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti, as they sit below the RX 470 regarding performance, but far lower when it comes to cost.
On the flip side, the RX 470 has more grunt left over to hit 60FPS with anti-aliasing and other details turned up, compared to the GTX 1050 Ti, which would begin to sink below 60FPS with those things turned up.
I would recommend the GTX 1050 Ti for those who are NVIDIA fans or are looking for an upgrade from the older GTX 650/750 class cards. If you are looking at getting a new 1080p-capable G-Sync display, the GTX 1050 Ti is a fine choice. It is capable of 60FPS in the games out right now, especially the likes of League of Legends, CS:GO, Overwatch, and even Battlefield 1.
GIVEAWAY: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G / 2G (running for the next two weeks)
If you're looking to upgrade from your older GTX 750, GTX 760, GTX 950, or even GTX 960, the new GTX 1050 Ti is quite the alternative. We have the new Pascal architecture from NVIDIA, which provides DX12 support, great VR technologies like Multi-Res Shading, and an energy-efficient card which doesn't even require a PCIe power connector, and runs from the 75W directly out of the PCIe x16 port on your motherboard. The overclocked MSI version of the GTX 1050 Ti we have here requires a single 6-pin PCIe power connector.
MSI tunes their GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G very well. The fans didn't even bother to spin up most of the time, only during our intense gaming sessions. This is something I've become accustomed to with MSI, as their Twin Frozr cooling technology is incredibly efficient at getting the heat away from the GPU and VRMs, and keeping the entire graphics card cool.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (overclocking, power)||95%|
|Quality (build, design, cooling)||95%|
|General Features (display outputs, etc)||90%|
|Bundle, Packaging & Software||95%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||94%|
The Bottom Line: MSI continues to expand its GTX 10 series dominance with the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G, a graphics card that is capable of 1080p 60FPS in Battlefield 1 and over 140FPS in Overwatch. It's incredible performance for a mid-range card that also provides a near-silent gaming experience.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specs, Cooling Tech & Detailed Look]
- Page 3 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - DX12 & Real World Gaming]
- Page 7 [Performance Summary & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Joker director hints at sequel 'I would do anything with Joaquin'
- GameStop lays off 120 staff members, 14% off total staff eliminated
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord sticks a landing on Steam, March 2020
- The One Punch Man game forces players to stall until Saitama arrives
- World's first real-world quantum network built with brand new protocol
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Yubico Launches the World's First Lightning-Compatible Security Key, the YubiKey 5Ci
- Monkey King: Hero Is Back Pre-Orders Now Open on Steam
- Lionsgate and Bloober Team Release New Blair Witch 'Insanity' Story Trailer
- PINBRAWLER CREATURE IN THE WELL PRE-ORDERS NOW LIVE GAME LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 6
- NEW DATING SIM GAME ANNOUNCED: NOW WITH 100% MORE DOGS You'll want to get your paws on this one On Valentine's Day, 2020