Our custom power testing samples each drive for a period of three minutes, across each workload. In order to offer more granularity, we sample the power in one-second intervals.
One of the biggest metrics for vendors has been power efficiency. With the 10TB solutions, both the EnCap and Barracuda Pro we see a similar pattern at QD32. Through random workloads, the drive sticks around 5.7 watts and transitioning into sequential jumps to 7.5 and settles down a hair over seven at 7.1 watts.
Sitting here on the Saturday before the big launch on Tuesday, I have been testing these drives for nearly two days now, and one thing I have found between the two samples I have is consistency. Each of these drives produce the same numbers over and over, and that leads to build quality and quality control, which are both quite solid in my book. Like the Enterprise Capacity I reviewed a month or two back, these drives are light, amazingly light, and that speaks to the new design of the drive and the introduction of helium inside the enclosure.
The performance of the Barracuda Pro is quite honestly wonderful. I thought the Enterprise Capacity was amazing when it came down to performance, but the fact that Seagate has taken that same level of performance and packed it into a mainstream solution is remarkable. In my testing, I reached a peak sequential read of 241 MB/s while sequential write touched 232 MB/s - and looking at random performance, I reached 625 RR IOPS and 610 RW IOPS.
Of course, with any new hard drive, market adoption is going to depend on a number of factors but from my perspective, Seagate has done their part offering class-leading capacity, top-notch performance, and a price that is going to be hard to beat all with one single drive, the impressive Barracuda Pro.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||95%|
|Bundle and Packaging||90%|
|Value for Money||92%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||94%|
The Bottom Line: Seagate continues to deliver with its helium-filled 10TB solutions. With their entry into the mainstream, there is no way you can ignore the price or performance of the Barracuda Pro hard drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Benchmarks]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks – 4K Random Performance & Latency]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks – Sequential Performance & Latency]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks – Workloads]
- Page 7 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bitcoin flashes past $19,000: could have $20K by Christmas
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series