Chad's CPU Cooler Test System Specifications
- Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87 - Buy from Amazon
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Memory: G.Skill F3-2666C11D-8GTXD - Buy from Amazon
- Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Storage: Patriot Torch 120GB - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Case: IN WIN D-Frame - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- Power Supply: SilverStone ST85F-G - Buy from Amazon / Read our review
- OS: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit - Buy from Amazon
- Software: RealTemp 3.70, AIDA64 Engineer 5.20.3400 and CPU-z 1.72.1 x64
To see our testing methodology and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article for more information.
Making sure to test all three modes, we set the HEX 2.0 cooler loose on our 4770K processor at stock load levels. In the High Ambient mode, temperatures were not great, but reasonable at 55.75 degrees. Standard Mode sends the HEX 2.0 higher up the chart with a 53-degree result, and in Insane Mode, the 50.75-degree result is very respectable.
With the power upped under the HEX 2.0, it seemed to have our chips heat well under control. High Ambient Mode offers not great results at 77.5, but the Standard mode brings us performance very close to the much larger Voltair. However, when we let the beast run in Insane Mode, the HEX 2.0 moves into the realm of the H100i GTX in quiet mode, and just behind the Liqtech 240. While this is not a chart-topping cooler, the results here speak volumes for a cooler as compact as the HEX 2.0 is.
Noise Level Results
Sidestepping the onboard connections and wiring, we plugged the Sans Ace into our fan controller to gauge the fan in respect to all of the rest of the coolers in this chart. With 7.5 volts going to the 92mm fan, we saw speeds of 1200 RPM, and the noise level inside of the cooler and under the shroud is limited to just 23 dB.
With the fan receiving full power, we saw speeds of 2600 RPM and the noise level rose to 43 dB. This is not the most silent cooler in our charts, but this is worst case scenario too. When testing the modes, using the fan on the PWM circuit, it rarely had the need to reach full power all of the time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Phononic HEX 2.0 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Phononic HEX 2.0 CPU Cooler Continued]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Software]
- Page 8 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch has highest 12-month install base in US history
- PUBG's 'Event Mode' will have rotating game types and modes
- Custom Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons will come with a D-pad
- Nintendo debut eShop sale in North America and Europe
- Dying in Sea of Thieves will soon cost you in-game gold
- ADATA XPG Spectrix D40 RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Review
- (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $12,980
- GIGABYTE Z170MX Gaming5 non K overclock
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone X Brand New Unlocked 64GB $7,490
- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 140mm Magnetic Levitation Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit