If we look back over the last few years, we have seen quite a few HDD technologies emerge. From HGST, we have Helium drives on the horizon; Seagate is working very hard on SMR and WD with HAMR. Apart from those technologies, the per-platter densities of the existing HDD infrastructure have been rapidly increasing, giving us a top capacity of 4TB among today's drives.
One of the latest technologies gaining ground in the market has been the SSHD or Hybrid Drive. With hybrid drives, we typically see some sort of hot data caching algorithm coupled with NAND flash put together with a 5400RPM HDD, allowing quick access to the most frequently used files on your system.
Today, we have yet another milestone in the HDD market with the introduction of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive. The Black 2 offers on one drive what has always taken two drives or two slots in a system to accomplish. Underneath, we have a 1TB HDD with a second interconnect holding a 120GB SSD.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
The WD Black 2 uses a SATA III interface packaged in the 2.5" form factor. Internal performance for the SSD is set at 350 MB/s read and 140 MB/s write. Over on the platter side, we have 600,000 Load/Unload cycles and a non-recoverable error rate of 1 in 1014. On the power front, we have read/write requirements of 1.8 watts with idle and sleep both using 0.9 watts.
Pricing of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive is set at $299.99 with a five-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New Alien MMO shooter could be a ways off
- Nintendo Switch system update 8.1.0, minimal changes
- New Age of Empires IV information to be released this year
- Mortal Kombat 11 gets ranked seasonal play in Kombat League
- Cyberpunk 2077 has multiple endings based on player choices
- Memblaze PBlaze5 C916 and D916 Enterprise SSD Review
- ASUS AX92U Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Review
- motherboard the turbo frequency varies permanently
- TweakTown's Best of E3 2019 Awards
- Q1900DC-ITX No Video Output
- Fort Boyard - The game will be available soon
- The Retro Scifi Game on Steam, 'I am Not a Monster' has a Single Player Campaign in Development called 'First Contact' set to Launch 2H 2019
- Buoyant Bounces Onto Mobile Devices Today
- Now Available on PC/Mac: Chook & Sosig: Walk the Plank
- Japanese character introductions of Ryuko and Satsuki for KILL la KILL - IF released