Samsung SSD Magician
Samsung has a very nice software package called SSD Magician. Recently they released a redesigned version, now up to 3.2. Let's take a brief look at each page and see the features.
A built in benchmark.
You can even test other drives with the built in benchmark.
I like benchmarks so we had to show this. The test takes a few minutes, but wait for it.
Benchmark results show up in a nice graph.
The optimizer helps you quickly optimize your system. We just cloned a mechanical drive to see what it would pick up in Windows 7. The software does a good job detecting some of the more obvious tricks to increase performance.
The firmware update tool is built into the Magician software.
Secure erase, but don't SE your boot drive.
This is where things get pretty cool. You can do the same thing when building your partition, but Magician gives you a nice graphical interface for setting more spare area. Additional spare area increases performance and the life of the flash.
Disk Cloning, this has come up a couple of time in the review as Data Migration. When you have Norton Ghost installed on your computer the Disk Cloning tab opens the software for you.
When the software opens you get the product activation menu and this is a problem if you are past 30 days of installing the software. We tore through the Samsung package and didn't find a code for Norton Ghost anywhere. This really isn't much of an issue unless you read the retail box that says the Samsung 840 comes with Data Migration Software. Maybe they should have put a star next to it and explained the 30 trail version a little better.
EDIT: After this article was posted we heard from Samsung and they informed us we did get it wrong in the article. Samsung has Data Migration Software, but it's a bit difficult to find unless you are looking for it. You can find the software on this page in the Downloads and Manuals section.
At least Samsung provided a link to Symantec tech support in the site link section.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 500GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Samsung SSD Magician]
- Page 16 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Playdead brings LIMBO and INSIDE to Nintendo Switch
- Sony doesn't need to enable cross-play, why risk 1st place?
- Unity's amazing Book of the Dead tech demo launched
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the most tweeted E3 title
- Resident Evil 2 Remake, zero plans for Nintendo Switch debut
- Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Asus X401A Laptop will not boot despite several replaced components -- Second attempt
- DDR4-3400 - Ryzen 7 1800x & Ryzen 7 2700x - X370 & X470
- LaCie DJI Co-Pilot 2TB Review
- Dumb question regarding moderator approval
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit