Moving away from the HD 7700 series which has really left us a bit flat, we get to move back into the HD 7900 series which we quickly fell in love with earlier in the year. Having a look at the first one we've looked at in a while comes from the team over at MSI who didn't have anything for us come launch time, but now they do.
Considering we've seen the company jump fairly quick into the Twin Frozr cooling setup, we figure it was simply because they were hard at work making something that was going to stand out. The Twin Frozr cooler has always been one of our favorite coolers, especially if you're looking exclusively at dual slot cards.
How's the beloved Twin Frozr III cooler go with the new 28nm HD 7950, though? Well, there's only one way to find out and we want to make sure we can see what it's really made out of which can only be done one way, overclocking!
As always, though, there's a few things we need to do before we get into the overclocking side of things and of course its performance. First we need to get stuck into the package and see what MSI is offering us before we take the time to take a closer look at the card itself and the Twin Frozr III cooler.
Once we've done that we'll get into the specification side of things to see what the out of the box clocks are on this OC model along with the kind of OC we managed to achieve. We'll then check out our testbed before we then get into the performance side of things to see just what kind of boost the overclock managed to give us. First things first, though, let's see what's going on with the package.
MSI recognized we're such huge fans of the Twin Frozr cooling series that they even put a comment on the inside of the box mentioning our thoughts along with our Best Overclocking award. Let's hope that MSI continue with a good thing and we see some strong performance again out of the Twin Frozr cooler on the new model. (Ed: Super cool MSI!)
Moving inside the bundle we've got some paperwork and a driver CD along with two dual Molex to 6-pin PCI Express power connectors, CrossFire bridge, DVI to VGA connector and mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort connector.
It's not a bad bundle and it's good to see the inclusion of a Mini DP to DP connector, something that companies are choosing to ignore lately.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Yakuza devs making new IP for SEGA
- Dbrands Nintendo Switch skins guarantee no damage to device
- PowerColor teases Radeon RX Vega Nano prototype
- AMD teases Ryzen 7 2800X, could be a 10C/20T beast at 4GHz+
- Xbox One could soon have 120Hz high refresh rate option
- Legacy Mode
- Possible Router Issues
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit