All things taken in and processed, I am left mostly unimpressed at the Hyper 612 PWM cooler. With a Silent version already coming out, I am here to promote an extreme version of this cooler at this point. As the 612 was shipped to me, it was a mediocre performer with low -ish noise levels. I get that some like the "automatic" fan control that PWM offers, and some may not want a bunch of noise while they are using it, but with a cooler this size, I expect better results than what I got in my testing. So at this point, I ask Cooler Master to take this next line to heart. Take a pair of the best fans you have, mount them and offer us the version of this cooler that we all want anyways, make it EXTREME! There is so much potential in this cooler being wasted in my opinion.
The cooler wasn't a complete failure, that's not what I am saying, but looking from a spoiled, extremist point of view (mine) while cost effective, it doesn't compare at all to a similarly priced Xigmatek or even the Polaris 120. There are things I liked and that I can see Cooler Master really put some thought into. The optional AMD mounting hardware is slick and not many companies even think of this, let alone offer a solution. The use of hex head screws and the inclusion of the wrench with the "speed ball" end make installation a cinch. The fan might not have been up to my standards, but the mounting system used is very beefy and will take some abuse while still being simple enough to lift some tabs and then just pull it off. This makes fan swapping or fin cleaning very easy.
With a suggested retail MSRP of $49.99 and no availability as I am writing this, if this cooler seems like a good solution to you, you still are going to need to wait just a bit to have your own go at testing it. I see this out of the Hyper 612 PWM, that it has potential. If you buy it in this state, I suggest you find a pair of fans with better than average static pressure and high CFM rating. I might even look into a pair of round 140mm fans for this and as long as they have 120mm mounting holes, you should be fine.
When I want to cool my own processors, I don't think in this PWM version I have found a cooler I would personally use. This being said, I would love it if Cooler Master makes me eat my words and does offer us an extreme, or even a "better than average" version of this cooler that just blows the competition away, and I'd even be willing to pay an additional twenty to thirty dollars to the cost. Most coolers at the top are in that price range and with the potential I think this cooler really has left in it, I think this version is almost a waste of the effort in designing this cooler.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Nintendo to reveal 'Indie Highlights' games for Switch 2019
- Overwatch tease 'Lunar New Year' Chinese dynasty theme skins
- FromSoftware President wouldn't mind a Demon Souls Remaster
- Resident Evil 2 to get 'Ghost Survivors' mode after launch
- Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Dark TG Mid-Tower Review
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership
- ODEM Applauds Blockchain Centre Vilnius on Its First Anniversary
- Dale North Kicks Off PERFECT SELECTION Compilation Series