Sparkle does a great job including plenty of cables to make sure you can mix and match cables to meet your specific needs. Unfortunately there are a few issues here that they should have addressed with a 1250W unit over the rest of the Gold Class line.
Being a 1250W unit, you would expect two things in particular, and a third that is a personal preference. The first would be the inclusion of dual ATX 4+4/ EPS12V connectors/cables and there is only one. The second issue with the cables that should be addressed would be to provide enough connectors to power quad GPUs. All it would have taken were a few extra cables to solve this issue.
The third is that you can only have five peripheral cables connected at any one time. With this much power, it would be nice to plug in a few extra cables. Some may think that the rails aren't strong enough to handle that much power across all of them and that's why we need to look at things below.
Yes, this is the rail distribution for their six 12V rails on the Gold Class 1250W power supply. There is actually only a single rail for the unit. The lack of over current protection made us curious and there are no over current shunts on the unit. On top of this, even though there are clearly six different spots for the 12V wires to terminate and they are all color coded accordingly, they still all terminate to the same location.
This brings up two more things that relate to the rail distribution and cabling. It is really pointless to label the color of wire for individual rails on a modular power supply when the color coded wires terminate on the inside of the unit. It makes more sense to label the actual modular connectors. It also doesn't make much sense to use multi-colored 12V wires when there is only a single 12V rail anyway.
A Look Inside
One thing that we noticed right when we opened the unit up was that things were a little bit dusty. Pay attention to the next few pictures and you'll notice that Sparkle actually sent us a used unit to test with. We generally frown upon this as it is easy to get a sample that an engineer has tweaked in some sort of manner, however our unit didn't appear to be tampered with in any way that we could discern. It simply appeared to have been used on a bench for many weeks.
The primary side features a pair of 105C rated Teapo capacitors. While it is always nice to see 100% Japanese capacitor construction, we haven't ever had any problems from Teapo caps. In fact, they have always done really well.
There is quite a bit more dust present here as well. It actually looks like there is something growing on the Teapo capacitor, but it's just a rather large dust bunny. You can also see where the six groups of wires terminate and form the single 12V rail.
The ever popular Yate Loon D14BH-12 makes a return here to cool the Sparkle Gold Class 1250W power supply. You can clearly see the line of dust on the side of the PSU enclosure and the dust that is built up on the fan after more than a few hours of use.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile 2019 roadmap detailed
- Microsoft calls Project xCloud its 'Netflix for games'
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media