I always seem to start these reviews by stating that the series of the card we're looking at is one of my favorite. It's not just some generic introduction and I really am a large fan of series' like the IceQ from HIS, Vapor-X from Sapphire, SOC from GIGABYTE and most of all, the MSI series including the Cyclone, HAWK and Lightning which we're looking at today.
While most companies have a good stand-out series, MSI have an arsenal of them. The Cyclone is great for these lower end mid-range cards; the cooler is quiet and performs very well. You can kick it up a notch and start looking at the Twin Frozr series which tends to be reserved for the higher end cards. It's also quiet, performs well and is essentially a higher end version of the Cyclone series.
Outside of these cooler modifications, though, you've got the HAWK and Lightning series. Both are designed from the ground up to offer us the most performance possible which is then harnessed with the best overclocking software around - MSIs own Afterburner.
The HAWK series is reserved for the mid-range models and to date we've seen MSI release some of the best versions of mid-range cards with models like the HD 5770 HAWK and GTX 460 HAWK. Today, though, we're not looking at a mid-range card; instead we're looking at the AMD single GPU beast that is the HD 6970 which is getting the Lightning treatment. Let's find out exactly what happens.
The overall package design isn't all that surprising with the typical Lightning design being laid out. Inside isn't much different either, it's larger than most other bundles but it's a very typical Lightning bundle with 6-Pin to 8-Pin convertors, little voltage measuring adapters and an extra-long CrossFire cable.
What's really great to see, though, is the inclusion of a mini-DP to DP adapter. We haven't seen a lot of companies include them and it's disappointing if you're on a DP monitor. Spending over $350 US on a new card and not being able to hook up via DP is indeed a pain, but fortunately it's not something we have to worry about here today.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package Pictures]
- Page 2 [Card Pictures & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Netflix won't be available on the Nintendo Switch as of yet
- QLOC to port Dark Souls Remastered to respective platforms
- ViewSonic shows off new gaming displays at CES 2018
- NBA Jam remake teased, and now it needs to happen
- Twitter is 'creepy Big Brother', has access to your DMs
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series