Like every other motherboard maker on the planet, ASUS maintains multiple product lines and inside each of these lines they have different vertical markets. For example, ASUS has their Republic of Gamers line that runs at the very top of the heap while their mainstream line runs with the tag of Extreme Phase or gets the Deluxe tag to denote extra features.
Recently we have been playing with the top of the line and have found them to be very capable indeed. Now, it is time to return to the mainstream; well, the upper end of the mainstream anyway. We are taking a look at the ASUS P6X58D-E. this $229.99 (at NewEgg.com) motherboard packs a bit of a punch for a decent price. With USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0, 16+ 2 power phases, SLI and Crossfire X support, it looks to be a very capable board indeed.
So let's drop in our favorite Core i7 980X and some good triple channel DDR3 to see what we can get out of this board.
Package and Contents
The box a product ships in can tell you a lot about it as well as giving you an idea on what the manufacturer wants you to focus on. The big focus here is going to be ASUS' triad of claims; number one in performance, safety and reliability. These are the trifecta for the mainstream market. The boards have to perform and last for the average consumer. There are additional points of focus such as the 16+2 phase power, SLI and Crossfire support, and USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0.
If you are looking for more reasons to buy the P6X58D-E then you might want to lift up the front flap. Here we have two groupings of four "push" items. These are things like TurboV, MemOK!, DTS surround audio, True 16+2 Phase power, EPU, Express Gate, and then two features that we are pretty sure were added in to make things even.
The back of the box has a little more detail and also has a picture of the board complete with labels.
Inside the box the extras are limited, but not bad. You get a pair of better quality SATA cables (these are labelled SATA 3.0). You also get a Crossfire bridge and a Tri-SLI bridge.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- TSMC pumps $25 billion into 5nm node, expected in 2020
- TSMC ramps 7nm production: new GPUs, AI, crypto chips coming
- Yawn: Intel Z390 chipset rumored to be rebadged Z370
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 1000 rumors: 16GB RAM in a smartphone
- Pre-order Super Smash Bros. Ultimate/GameCube Controller now
- GA-Z68AP-D3 rev 1.0, unable to access BIOS or load Win10
- Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- AMD Vega 56 not being detected by Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 motherboard
- win 7 with gigbyte mobo/network only getting 10% of bandwidth
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and Ryzen 5 2600 Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit