You can read more about TweakTown's Storage Product Testing Workstation and the procedures followed to test products in this article.
Today we are testing the Vertex 2 from OCZ Technology. The Vertex 2 is supposed to be able to dominate our other SF-1200 drives in 4K write speeds, but we are going to have to keep an eye on the Corsair Force F100 since Corsair managed to play some firmware games and keep the higher 4K performance; though they did so by disabling some power saving features with a pre-release firmware. We did shoot an email over to Corsair asking what the plan was for the MP2 firmware release and have yet to hear back. When we tested the F100, Intel's new RST drive was not available; since then we have re-tested and the benchmarks have been dropped in the charts.
There are two other comparisons to watch out for when looking at the charts besides the SandForce on SandForce match up. The Corsair Nova is on the charts still; an Indilinx Barefoot drive. With SandForce prices declining, this has pushed the Indilinx products to new pricing lows, but SF products keep getting cheaper every week it seems and in the next couple of weeks we may actually see SF-1200 drives selling for the same price that Barefoot drives are now. I don't see how companies will be able to sustain making Barefoot products and selling them for a profit for much longer; that is if they haven't stopped manufacturing them already.
Last but not least is the Vertex 2 against the Crucial RealSSD C300, also known as The Battle between Next Gen Titans. The 128GB C300 has a slower write speed than the 256GB C300 and if you caught my review of the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB just a couple days ago then you know that in this capacity the SF-1200 dominates the C300. We are hoping to see even stronger performance out of the Vertex 2, so watch and see if the margin grows wider.
ATTO Baseline Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 2.34
ATTO is used by many disk manufacturers to determine the read and write speeds that will be presented to customers.
In ATTO we are able to verify the manufacturers transfer speed claims and as you can see, OCZ is spot on with their 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write speeds. This is all fine and dandy, but it is far from the real story and something that we failed to pick up on when testing the Corsair Force and A-DATA S599 SF-1200 drives in early testing.
If you look at the 4K write performance (the number 4 at the left side of the graph), we see that the Vertex 2 picks up the write speeds very quickly moving down the graph and 4K write is right around 177MB/s. The Corsair Force was writing data right around the same speed, but the other SandForce SF-1200 drives we tested could only manage 100 to 140MB/s at 4K.
The OCZ Vertex 2 is actually faster in 4K writes than two A-DATA S599 SF-1200 drives in RAID 0 on the Intel ICH with RST 9.6. Pondering this a little more, I can see in the back of my mind a medium sized room with a handful of OCZ engineers standing around high-fiving one another.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch & GameBoy comparison video
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage