The first thing we have to talk about before we wrap everything up is the new iTracker 2 software. This is ASUS' own overclocking software that gives you the ability to adjust a whole array of features ranging from not only memory clocks but RAM timings. The good news is if you stuff something up in the process like your motherboard, you're only a button away from being able to reset it.
The whole process of updating the BIOS though with higher clock speeds does seem like a bit of muck around, though. If you wanted something that was going to be faster out of the box, you'd probably simply be better off buying a GTX 285 TOP from ASUS or another company's highly overclocked model for similar money.
The Matrix GTX 285 isn't going to be for everyone and if you expect this video card to offer big clocks straight out of the box, you're going to be disappointed. As far as the bundle goes, there isn't really anything extra going on that we tend not to see from ASUS. While the iTracker 2 software is great, the ability to adjust timings are just going to freak some people out, and if all you want to do is adjust the core, shader and memory clock this can be done with other third party programs on stock clocked models that come in cheaper anyway.
The Matrix GTX 285 really comes with a whole lot of good bells and whistles, but most people are going to find the whistles and bells just aren't loud enough. With that said though, it's not all doom and gloom for the model, out of the box we do get a bump in the core clock which manages to give us a boost in performance and the cooler that ASUS offer is nothing short of excellent - we can see from our test that the load temperature on our card when compared to a stock one went down significantly.
Finishing this up, as we have said, the Matrix GTX 285 isn't going to be for everyone - some people will love the ability to write their own clock rates and memory timings to the card thanks to the iTracker 2 software, others will also love the lower temperatures that the video card offers. At the end of it all, you have to really decide if these are features you want or not, with the GTX 285 being around for so long now we've got a lot of companies that offer higher out of the box clocks and just all round cheaper cards.
You'll have to figure out if the Matrix GTX 285 from ASUS is the GTX 285 for you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2 - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - XP]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Decidueye was considered for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- JUMP FORCE leaks images of Dragon Quest and JoJo Characters
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019