Today, LaCie, the premium brand from Seagate Technology plc unveiled the LaCie Mirror portable hard drive wholly encased in scratch resistant Corning Gorilla Glass. This unique device is at once both a functional 1 TB hard drive and a striking piece of decor. The LaCie Mirror hard drive will adorn any desktop as it sits in its base made of a single piece of ebony wood from Makassar. This new signature piece for LaCie has been designed in collaboration with the acclaimed French designer, Pauline Deltour.
"You have to look twice to discover the LaCie Mirror's true ambition," said Deltour. "Covered by mirrored glass, it's first an elegant and functional object, and only on second glance is it revealed to be a slim high-performance hard drive."
Mirrors reflect the image of who we are, where as the data that we collect and create is a reflection of an individual's ideas and experiences. In an age where nearly all files are manifested in a digital form, it was an obvious conclusion for LaCie to develop a showpiece to convey how essential data is to defining our modern life. The sum of art and literature are the product by which a culture is defined. This art has existed, historically, as physical media prior to the introduction of digital technology. Today, data is comprised of this very media that defines us, be it photos, videos, music, graphic art, novels, journals or even a spreadsheet. Our data is truly a reflection of who we are. The human digital footprint is a reflection of our individuality and LaCie Mirror is symbolic of this.
"Of all human inventions, the mirror is perhaps the most intriguing, since it is so closely connected to our own consciousness, reflecting both reality and illusion," said, Mark Pendergrast, author of Mirror Mirror: A History of the Human Love Affair with Reflection. "As our first technology for self-contemplation, the mirror is arguably as important an invention as the wheel and perhaps even more universal."
Pauline Deltour and LaCie product development teams worked closely to develop the LaCie Mirror hard drive. To make the product more durable, LaCie used Corning Gorilla Glass 3 with Native Damage Resistance (NDR). The glass is chemically strengthened and atomically configured to better survive the real-world events that most commonly cause glass failure. This glass enables improved damage resistance and toughness by helping to prevent the deep chips and scratches that cause glass to break.
"The LaCie Mirror, propped up on its ebony wood display stand, is captivating on a desk or anywhere in the home," explained designer Pauline Deltour. "The intense ebony color contrasts sublimely with the LaCie Mirror's silver facets."
When the LaCie Mirror hard drive is connected to a computer, the luxurious display stand showcases the exquisite design of the product. Hewn from Makassar ebony wood, a richly colored, exceptionally dense wood, every display stand is unique. There are no two pieces that are alike.
The LaCie Mirror features a two-year limited warranty that includes comprehensive, complimentary web-based resources, expert in-house technical support, and worldwide repair and/or replacement coverage. It is possible to upgrade this service with warranty extensions, fast product replacement and even data recovery services.
The 1 TB LaCie Mirror portable hard drive will first be available in late January for a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $279.99 at LaCie.com with wider availability later this year.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Fortnite makes over $1 billion in less than a year
- Treyarch tease COD: Black Ops 4 zombies Comic-Con reveal
- Call of Cthulhu releases this Halloween
- The Legend of Zelda: BOTW - Creating a Champion details
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X simulated tests: 32C/64T beast!
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit