Today Symantec announced Norton Zone for consumers, a new secure file sharing service that allows users to safely access, sync and share photos, videos and documents from any of their PC, Mac, Android or iOS devices. A free, limited public beta can be accessed at https://www.nortonzone.com on a first-come, first-served basis. The full-featured version of Norton Zone is slated to be released in the U.S. in 2013.
Norton Zone combines convenient, easy access with world-class security and safety. Key features in the current beta include:
- Always have the latest files on-hand. As soon as a file or folder is added or changed in Norton Zone, all users granted access will automatically see that change on all of their devices, so everyone always has the most up-to-date version at hand. The free beta version of Norton Zone also keeps track of all versions of the same file for a span of 90 days.
- Easily and securely share files and folders. Individuals can share photos, videos and other information uploaded to Norton Zone by simply emailing a link, without ever worrying about size limitations. They can also provide other Norton Zone users with shared access to files and entire folders, perfect for collaborating on a project or staying in touch with friends and family. What's more, all files are scanned for viruses and malware before being shared.
- Post photos and videos to Facebook. People can easily post Norton Zone links to photos and videos on Facebook, and can quickly disable the link anytime. Users can also control how long or how many times a file can be accessed via link sharing.
- Information stored in Norton Zone is automatically backed up and replicated in a secured cloud, providing additional protection for important files, even from natural disasters.
- High-level, industrial-grade encryption protects all files during transfer and while stored in secure data centers.