GameStop will stay open amid the worsening coronavirus pandemic because corporate thinks the store is "essential retail," sources tell Kotaku's Jason Schreier.
As countless businesses close down to curb COVID-19 spread, GameStop will remain open and put employees at further risk. Workers at the games retail chain are forbidden to close stores across the United States. A memo sent out by GameStop's leadership marks the store as "essential retail," putting it alongside critical businesses like grocery stores and gas stations.
"Due to the products we carry that enable and enhance our customers' experience in working from home, we believe GameStop is classified as essential retail and therefore is able to remain open during this time," GameStop said in the memo.
"We have received reports of local authorities visiting stores in an attempt to enforce closure despite our classification. Store Managers are approved to provide the document linked below to law enforcement as needed."
This news comes days after GameStop employees revealed potentially dangerous working conditions at the retailer. Management isn't supplying employees with proper cleaning equipment including hand sanitizer, and employees are encouraged to continue taking in used games, which could be harboring COVID-19 pathogens.
And more and more customers are showing up because GameStop is one of the only places that're still open. This trend will continue because management doesn't want to shut the chain down.
The company just today released Doom Eternal early to help combat COVID-19 risks by cutting down customer count, and has delayed all midnight launches indefinitely.
Last updated: Apr 6, 2020 at 04:34 pm CDT
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: August 2020 reveal, launch at Computex 2020
- Reggie Fils-Aime won't save Gamestop, but he'll help change it
- NVIDIA delays GTC announcement of Ampere GPU over COVID-19 coronavirus
- Tech industry leaders issue joint statement over COVID-19 coronavirus
- R.E.M.'s 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It' is back on charts
- > NEXT STORY: Final Fantasy 7 Remake isn't delayed, but your disc copy could be
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Increased China nitrogen dioxide emissions, recovery from COVID-19?