Sony today announced a DualShock 4 controller add-on that gives you extra buttons.
The new add-on is called the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment, and it tacks on two paddles on the back of your controller. It's basically designed for competitive play and lets users set custom button mappings for the paddles, which should help in intense shooters like Destiny 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
The peripheral plugs into the DualShock 4's expansion port and essentially transforms your DS4 into a budget Xbox Elite controller. For some reason Sony attached an OLED screen to it so the paddle add-on will leech battery life from your DS4's internal 1,000mAh battery.
We could even see a new official PlayStation DualShock Pro controller roll out with the PlayStation 5 in holiday 2020. Sony has already patented a DualShock 5 design that's quite similar to the DualShock 4. The only real differences in the new PS5 controller is a built-in mic, USB-C charging, and more tactile triggers with improved vibration.
The paddle attachment will launch on January 23 for $30, or roughly half the price of a DualShock 4's MSRP.
- Responsive Back Buttons and High-fidelity OLED Screen: The two back buttons can map up to 16 different actions such as triangle, circle, R1 and R2 to name a few and provide amazing tactile feedback, so you can jump and slide without missing a beat. The attachment also features an integrated OLED display that provides real-time information around button assignments.
- Highly Configurable: A dedicated button allows you to remap back button inputs on-the-fly, so you are always prepared no matter what game you're playing. Furthermore, you can save and choose up to three different profiles for use in various games and there is also a headset pass-through for connecting any 3.5mm wired headset to the controller.
- Developed by PlayStation: The product is tested and approved for all of your favorite PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR titles, and is built with the ergonomics of the DS4 in mind.
- > NEXT STORY: How the Xbox Series X will look in your living room
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Clarifying the Xbox Series X name