In a huge surprise at PAX West on the weekend, Gearbox Publishing and Black Bird Interactive (BBI) announced Homeworld 3. Homeworld 3 is being crowdfunded through Fig, with the announcement trailer below:
Homeworld 3 will return to its roots, not only in terms of gameplay and its world -- but BBI consists of the original Homeworld developers and artists, as well as a "dream team" of games industry veterans who worked on the Homeworld Remastered Collection at Gearbox Publishing.
Gearbox teases that Homeworld 3 will be a "gripping continuation of the story, fully 3D combat, and the classic RTS elements you expect".
There was a super-simple funding goal of just $1 for Homeworld 3, with funding split into various stages -- but the goal is to bring the developers and players closer together. They explain on Fig: "We've been craving the right opportunity to dive deep with a community in a way only crowdfunding offers. With Homeworld's incredibly patient and thoughtful community, we've got exactly that opportunity".
Homeworld 3 has already amassed $438,470 (at the time of writing) and has 27 days left (again, at the time of writing). You can pledge $50, $60, $100, $150, $160, or a huge $1000. The $1000 reward is called 'Admiral's Bundle' and comes with signed concept art.
19 people have pulled the trigger on the $1000 package, where you will get everything below this tier as well as:
- Homeworld 3 Collector's Edition
- Homeworld 3 signed concept art print
- Homeworld Remastered Collection
- Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
- Fig digital collector's edition items
- Supporter-only Discord access
- Supporter-only survey
- Early access to Homeworld mobile
Homeworld 3 is expected to be released in 2022.
- > NEXT STORY: Gears 5 'player initiated combat' was inspired by BioShock Infinite
- < PREVIOUS STORY: No ETA for Epic Store shopping cart, wishlists, or achievements