CES 2019 - Toshiba announces its new MG08 series hard drives with a whopping 16TB of storage space.
Touted as the "industry's largest capacity 16 TB Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) HDD," the MG08 uses helium instead of air to pack in 9 ultra-thin disks for greater density and storage capacity. The 3.5-inch MG08 drive runs at 7,200 RPM and has a 2.5 million hour MTTF, 512MB cache, and comes in SATA 6 Gb/s or SAS 12 Gb/s interfaces.
Toshiba is aiming the MG08 at the enterprise sector's higher workloads and cloud-scale operations.
"Toshiba's new 16 TB MG08 Series delivers new levels of storage capacity and density while delivering improved power efficiency for our cloud-scale and storage solutions customers. Only high-density HDD technology can achieve our customers' critical TCO objectives at a cost of pennies per GB," says Shuji Takaoka, General Manager of Storage Products Sales & Marketing Division at Toshiba Electronic Devices & Storage Corporation.
The company plans to sample the drives starting late January 2019.
- Industry Standard 3.5-inch 26.1 mm Height Form Factor
- Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) 16TB for broad compatibility
- Industry-leading 9-disk helium-sealed design for superior storage density
- 7,200 rpm Performance
- 550 Total TB Transferred per Year Workload Rating
- 512e or 4Kn Advanced Format Sector Technology; (512e Model) Includes Toshiba Persistent Write Cache Technology for Data-Loss Protection in Sudden Power-Loss Events