Toshiba has just launched its new X300 line up of mechanical HDDs, with 4TB/5TB/6TB/8TB options that range between $119 and $259, while providing good speeds for those who want big storage.
Toshiba's new X300 family of HDDs have a 7200RPM spindle speed, with 128MB of cache, with the 8TB model set to provide around 240MB/sec of read speeds. We don't know the actual speeds yet, but I'm sure Toshiba will be providing those soon enough.
The flagship 8TB model has a self-contained cache algorithm that features on-board buffer management, something that is said to improve the cache allocation of read/write operations that provides increased performance. Toshiba might tease that, but we have no official performance numbers to go by... so, that's kind of redundant IMO.
As for pricing, this is what we have on Amazon right now:
- Toshiba X300 4TB - $119
- Toshiba X300 5TB - $145
- Toshiba X300 6TB - $194
- Toshiba X300 8TB - $259
Last updated: Sep 12, 2017 at 06:11 am CDT
- Phison at CES 2020, up to 8TB M.2 along with 16TB SATA QLC powered SSD
- Toshiba's new PC algorithm is 10x faster than laser quantum computers
- Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro: 64GB RAM, 8TB SSD for $6099
- iBuyPower Black Friday deals you can't miss
- Steam's Lunar New Year sale brings major discounts of up to 75% off
- > NEXT STORY: Qualcomm trolls Apple the day before the new iPhone
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Samsung announces 11nm LPP production, 7nm EUV for 2018