Update: I've been chatting with Bertram on Twitter, and he said that "this is not a fundraiser", adding that "money issues can be so... finnicky... we've decided to hold off for now. We're exploring a fundraising method that would use multisig bitcoin wallets in order to allow for complete transparency and consencus before funds are spent".
Last week I wrote a story about WikiLeaks being astroturfed and that it was under the control of the government, and there was barely a peep from the mainstream media. Well, it's something that we should all be looking at right now, as it affects freedom of speech on the internet in a big way.
I took to my personal Twitter to talk about it, and in the last few days my account has blown up with followers, DMs, and retweets. There is a very large support group who wants to see WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange safe and sound, and just as I was considering opening up a GoFundMe account for this very reason, Logan Bertram did.
Bertram is asking for $1 million for proof of life of Assange, and while we might not hit $1 million - the internet is a wonderful place where things like this go viral very quickly. The post on GoFundMe reads:
The recent clamp down on moderators on Reddit is only getting worse, with most of the mods on /r/wikileaks and /r/whereisassange being replaced or silenced. The /r/pizzagate community has been completely banned, but they've moved onto another part of the internet.
If you need a refresh on the original article and the timeline of extremely weird, and surely what the MSM will call "coincidental" things that have happened:
Timeline of Events for Julian Assange & WikiLeaks
- May 11th: Michael Ratner Wikileaks chief council died of cancer
- Jul 10th: Seth Rich, DNC staffer who supposedly leaked DNC documents to Wikileaks, is shot in the back and dies
- Aug 5th: Edward Snowden (source of leaks on surveillance by the NSA) tweets 64 bit code (potential dead man's switch)
- Aug 10th: Wikileaks offers $20k reward for information on murder of Seth Rich.
- Aug 16th: Renowned lawyer who represented Julian Assange died after being struck by train in West Hampstead
- Oct 7th: Podestamails leaks first batch.
- Oct 14th: John Podesta tweets "I bet the lobster risotto is better than the food at the Ecuadorian Embassy".
- Oct 16th/17th: John Kerry visits the UK, personally pressures Equador to stop Assange from publishing documents about Clinton.
- Oct 16th: Wikileaks tweets SHA-256 prerelease keys.
- Oct 18th: Equadorian Embassy cuts off Assange's internet access.
- Oct 18th: Pamela Anderson visits Assange and feeds him a vegan sandwich.
- Oct 18th: Witnesses photograph and report heavily armed police and vans outside Equadorian Embassy, are barred from approaching and have cellphones confiscated. Live feeds are cut off.
- Oct 18th: Fox News reports Assange will be arrested in a matter of hours.
- Oct 18th: https://file.wikileaks.org/file made publicly visible, file dates/timestamps changed to 1984 (Orwell reference).
- Oct 20th: /r/wikileaks, /r/dncleaks, /r/wikileakstaskforce and /r/nsaleaks add 21 new moderators and remove previous mods, all threads about Assange going missing deleted since.
- Oct 20th/21st: Wikileaks tweets 5 tweets with misspelled words. The incorrect letters spell "HELP HIM". The Wikileaks Twitter has never made a spelling error, let alone 5 in two days.
- Oct 21st: Massive DDoS attack on US internet. Wikileaks tweets to imply the attack originates from its supporters, asking them to stop, no evidence supports claim.
- Oct 21st: London Airport evacuated due to "chemical attack", potentially used as cover to fly Assange out of country.
- Oct 22nd: Gavin MacFadyen (mentor to Assange and key player in Wikileaks) dies of lung cancer.
- Oct 23rd: Wikileaks Tweets poll asking how best to prove Assange is alive (he still hasn't appeared on video or at the window since).
- Oct 24th: Wikileaks Tweets video of Assange and Michael Moore recorded in June.
- Oct 26th: 4chan users successfully successfully decode their first message in Wikileak's blockchain. Threads are instantly flooded by shills saying that it's not worth looking into. The blockchain is blocked with fees and 43000 unconfirmed transactions appear in the mempool.
- Nov 6th: Huge DDoS takes down Wikileaks for first time in years.
- Nov 7th: Various entities notice hundreds of Podesta and DNC emails are missing from recent leaks, accessed with direct entry.
- Nov 8th: Trump wins.
- Nov 12th: Assange meets with Swedish prosecutor regarding rape allegations, lawyers barred from attending, meeting conducted via an Equadorian ambassador (not face to face)
- Nov 14th: Wikileaks releases insurance files, SHA-256 hashes do not match those tweeted in October.
- >> NEXT STORY: EA adds counterproductive gifting feature to Origin
- << PREVIOUS STORY: AMD high-end 4K/VR-ready Radeon RX 490 teased