Today Buffalo announced the launch of three new high-speed AirStation wireless routers based on the open source DD-WRT firmware. The new AirStation AC 1750 WZR-1750DHPD, AirStation N600 WZR-600DHP2D, and the AirStation N300 WHR-300HP2D all feature DD-WRT Linux-based firmware that provides a high-performance and stable networking stack that is highly customization and community driven.
Buffalo says that the new generation of AirStation Wireless Routers provide high-performance networking, advanced features, and low-level device management while unlocking extensive capabilities with increased network stability. The company's decision to continue offering DD-WRT firmware in its routers offers consumers powerful features not found on other closed-source firmware-based routers of similar pricing points. DD-WRT provides the stability and configuration options needed for high-end home networking or the small business networking environment.
"Consumers and business professionals are demanding increased access and control of their wireless network configurations," said Matt Dargis, COO at Buffalo Americas (USA), Inc. "We launched new open source DD-WRT models of the AirStation router to address this rising demand, giving users the ability to unlock advanced capabilities of their wireless routers at a cost effective price. These features, such as PPTP, OpenVPN and VLAN, allow network administrators and programmers to enable advanced features typically unavailable in consumer-grade wireless routers."
Open Source DD-WRT
DD-WRT is an open source Linux-based firmware for wireless routers and access points. Offered as an alternative to OEM firmware, DD-WRT provides users with advanced features and capabilities, including:
- OpenVPN, VLAN and full command line root access
- VPN passthrough
- Advanced QoS controls for bandwidth allocation
- WDS wireless bridging/repeating
- DNS caching
- Viewable performance statistics to measure bandwidth levels
- Ability to set up as a Wi-Fi hotspot
- RADIUS authentication for additional wireless security
- DHCP server
- Ability to create multiple SSIDs
- Iptables NAT and Firewall
- Telnet and SSH Root access
Pricing and Availability
- All Buffalo AirStation wireless solutions are backed by a limited three-year warranty including toll-free U.S.-based technical support available 24/7.
- AirStation AC 1750 Gigabit Dual Band Open Source DD-WRT Wireless Router WZR-1750DHPD is available now at an estimated MSRP of $189.99.
- AirStation N600 Gigabit Dual Band Open Source DD-WRT Wireless Router WZR-600DHP2D will be available in early March at an estimated MSRP of $109.99.
- AirStation N300 Open Source DD-WRT Wireless Router WHR-300HP2D will be available in early March at an estimated MSRP of $59.99.
- >> NEXT STORY: Google's underwater Street View library just got a lot bigger
- << PREVIOUS STORY: It's official, Motorola is planning to launch a smartwatch this year