When the Hulk movie was released, a fairly average game came along side it. There was however one very cool element to the game, and that was destroying everything with the big green guy. Vivendi, seeing how popular superhero games are right now, decided to stick with the Big Green Guy for one more outing, except place a huge emphasis on destroying things. We recently went hands on with the latest build to see what they are cooking up and if running around Hulk Smashing things in a large open city sounds like fun, then read on.
Hulk Ultimate Destruction does have a storyline but Vivendi is remaining a little mum on it right now. It will be based on the comic as opposed to the movie, and the writers behind the comic are actually penning the storyline as well. Vivendi want you to feel sorry for the Hulk during the game so expect an emotional storyline. What we played didn't really have any significance in terms of an ongoing story so it's hard for us to comment on where that's going. In our opinion the storyline in this game would be secondary to the action.
The game is played from a third person perspective and, of course, you play as the Hulk. Now that may sound a little boring but Hulk has the best features of Spiderman and CJ combined. He can run up buildings to move quickly and pick up and use weapons to take on enemies. One of the biggest features of the game is the use of weapons which is really what makes this game fun. Hulk can pick almost anything up and turn it into a weapon, such as a car which turns into metallic boxing gloves to destroy buildings, or the burger chain neon light which becomes a bowling ball. The way the developers have utilised the various items in a city is amazing and Vivendi is promising a lot of weapon options. We've only seen a few but we can see potential for so much more.
The mission we played was to destroy three power circuits. This is a mission from early on in the game so isn't very representative of the latter parts of the game where apparently the military will begin to move in on hulk. Basically it tasked us with running around the city destroying power generators to cut the power so Hulk can do as he pleases really. It was a quick short mission but did show us just how close to the more mature GTA it is. This is not a bad thing and playing Hulk can make the game just a little easier to stomach than some parts of the latest GTA game.
In terms of the city, the developers have done a top job. It's vast and expansive and has many different places to visit such as the Banner house. While the city we saw is huge, we are hoping some of it requires unlocking so it is even bigger in the final game. The fact that you can destroy pretty much anything makes this one big sandbox mode and should be a heck of a lot of fun. Multiplayer would have been cool in this scenario, but unfortunately Vivendi has decided not to put it in. The visuals of Hulk and the city are a combination of cartoon and realistic styles which look impressive.
Hulk Ultimate Destruction is a game that will surprise a lot of people. Vivendi are targeting both the children's and adult market and somehow the game has managed to be classified G, despite the fact stuff blows up everywhere. So if you're an adult who likes a bit of action with CJ and have a kid, the Hulk Ultimate Destruction will offer you the chance to share your love of open gaming, without worrying about the content matter.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rum Runner's Pack free DLC debuts to Pillars of Eternity 2
- New Battlerite Royale screenshots unveil UI/more gameplay
- Co-op monster hunting title, Duntless releases open beta
- Dark Souls Remastered releases a whole day early on Steam
- Borderlands 2 is free-to-play and 75% off Steam this weekend
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- If I use the M2_1 slot in the x470 Taichi Ultimate ,will it take away PCIE lanes from the GPU?
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB SM-G960UZKAXAA $1,257
- Photo Backup and Build your own cloud with Synology
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit