Over the next few weeks we'll be bringing you updates on Unreal Championship 2's features such as weapons, levels, more in depth hands on previews and storyline leading up to the games release in late April. This week we check out the weapons of the game and talk about how the melee side has affected how the game plays.
These weapons are the major difference since UT 2004 and really have changed how the game plays. On paper a sword vs a gun seems like a mismatch but Epic have managed to balance it so well that a player with a sword can win the match, and more often than not, rack up more frags. We checked this out in the demo and absolutely wondered why Epic had not done this sooner, anyway it's in the game now and something you should definitely be playing around with upon launch.
As you see below there is a variety of weapons to choose from in the melee combat arena and each have varying strengths and weaknesses. You don't actually choose your melee weapon; rather it depends on which character you choose. There is nine melee weapons overall, including:
Skarrj Blades poison.
These weapons use energy accumulated throughout the maps and return from previous Unreal Tournament games. Three are on offer and they all feature secondary fire ability.
Sniper Rifle - One of the favorites from the very first Unreal Tournament game makes a return for long range accuracy. One of the interesting updates is that the gun now fires three shots by default with secondary fire being a scope allowing for more accuracy.
Shock Rifle - Returning from Unreal Tournament, this gun can be used to shoot a plasma ball or freeze a ball in the middle of the arena, a hazard for opponents.
Stinger - Gatling gun like plasma gun that can cut an enemy to shreds.
These are fairly stock standard guns that can also do damage to the firing character in small spaces. There isn't anything really new here but a favorite makes its return in the form of the ripjak.
Rocket launcher - Three barrels and very much the same as the gun used in UT 2004 for this purpose. This time around the rockets are joined together doubling the impact upon an enemy but can be split with secondary fire.
Grenade Launcher - Again a standard gun that makes a return to the arena from previous games. However the grenade launcher can now shoot proximity mines with alternate fire and these can be detonated mid air or attached to a wall and ground.
Ripjak - This gun hasn't been seen for a while but makes a return. This gun shoots razor sharp discs towards an opponent and bounces off walls making for some spectacular kills.
Race Specific weapons
Each race in the game features their own weapons as well as the melee weapon to offer some unique options for each player.
Nakhti Scorpions - Energy based pistol with rapid fire
Skaarj Razik - Razor sharp blades firing sharp poisoned blades into an enemy.
Dual Enforcers - Two semi automatic pistols
Rivit Gun - Gun which shoots construction rivets, with a secondary fire that attaches players to arena walls.
As you can see Unreal Championship 2 will feature some old and new guns but the biggest change is definitely going to be the melee weapons and how that impacts on the pace and style of the game. Look for a brand new preview of the Characters next weekend here on 3DAvenue.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battle Royale craze extends to... OFFICE CHAIRS
- Intel will wave goodbye to legacy BIOS support in 2020
- iMac Pro will feature A10 chip for always-on 'Hey Siri'
- EA stock prices see the dark side of Battlefront II issues
- Canadian grocery chain the first with Tesla Semi truck order
- Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB & 480GB AIC NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- p8z77-v Deluxe won't boot after new install of Win 10
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ