Although not as crucial now days with advances in USB installation, the humble optical drive is still a main stay in many computers. Unfortunately with little to no choice in colours and with other more attractive components like Bay Reservoirs and fan controllers, the simple DVD drive can look a little out of place, maybe even bringing down the overall feel of your rig.
Sure you could go and drop your hard earned cash on a brand new external drive, but what if there was another option? Well, fortunately there is. I present to you the world's easiest mod, "The Drive Stealth".
Basically what we are planning to do is hide the offending optical drive behind one of the cases' 5.25 bay covers whilst still being able to easily access the drive as usual.
So with the stealth of a Ninja assassin, join me as I make an optical drive disappear into the shadows of a case.
The best thing about this mod is its simplicity. Unlike some projects that take large amounts of time, money and advanced tools, "stealthing" your drive can be achieved in under an hour with a few basic materials. So, what will we need? Well, besides the optical drive itself obviously you will have to dig out one of your unused 5.25 bay case covers from your bits box as well as some double sided tape.
I always try to use scotch or 3M brand tapes, but I could not find any in my mod shed. Luckily I found some other suitable no name tape which seems rather sturdy, and like all good modders, I improvise. The reason I always try to use brand name tape is it has a truly unbelievable adhesive quality, which once set in place is incredibly hard to "reseat".
Preparing the Drive
Needless to say the very first thing we need to do is remove the victim drive, and once removed we can continue on to removing the faceplate and tray drawer. Optical drives are fairly universal so removing the front plate should be similar for most makes and models. Firstly you will need to pop the tray open, and this can be done with a pin or sewing needle. Insert the pin into the front release hole which is usually located next to the eject button. Press the pin in till you feel it make contact, this should be the release mechanism so push in a bit further and the tray should pop out.
With the tray released we can now concentrate on removing the front faceplate. You may have noticed the clips on the sides of the unit; we need to unclip both of these. The easiest way to remove the clips is by using a small flat head screwdriver. Gently push the clip in and forward, and then repeat on the opposite side and the panel should release and come off.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda's cancelled Terminator game had you play as a T-800
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt won't have day 1 download on Switch
- New Alien MMO shooter could be a ways off
- Nintendo Switch system update 8.1.0, minimal changes
- New Age of Empires IV information to be released this year
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSD First Look Preview
- Update Intel RAID ROM - How to do it?
- Memblaze PBlaze5 C916 and D916 Enterprise SSD Review
- ASUS AX92U Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Review
- motherboard the turbo frequency varies permanently
- Fort Boyard - The game will be available soon
- The Retro Scifi Game on Steam, 'I am Not a Monster' has a Single Player Campaign in Development called 'First Contact' set to Launch 2H 2019
- Buoyant Bounces Onto Mobile Devices Today
- Now Available on PC/Mac: Chook & Sosig: Walk the Plank
- Japanese character introductions of Ryuko and Satsuki for KILL la KILL - IF released