Overclocking is great for people who want to get even more performance out of a product without spending any more money. The one thing you have to remember is just because we achieved this overclock, it doesn't mean you will. On the other hand, you might get even higher.
Sure, take overclocking into consideration when it comes to purchasing a card if that's what interests you, but don't let it hold the weight of your decision because it can change from card to card and model to model.
We're glad that when it came to overclocking in Precision we weren't limited to only Shader clock and Memory clock adjustments. It was good to know that as we bumped up the Shader the core went with it; maybe if we could do them separately and could unlink the Shader and core clock we might have got more performance, but that is only speculation.
If NVIDIA bumped the clocks slightly more out of the factory the card could've probably given the HD 5850 a better run for its money at the higher resolution, because as it stands at 607MHz on the core it does tend to fall behind it quite often. We're sure there's good reasons why NVIDIA opted for the clocks they did, though.
There's some extra performance there; now it'll be interesting to see how NVIDIA partners harness it. New coolers, voltage adjustments and bigger overclocks? Only time will tell.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.