Two Chip Design
Not too long ago the move from the traditional three chip setup for computers was starting. The idea was (and is) to reduce the number of parts needed to have a fully functional system. Strangely enough the original push for this was pioneered by AMD. However, for some reason AMD never really pushed forward on this. They talked up the virtues of having the functions of the GPU moved to the CPU and even moved the memory controller onto the CPU way ahead of Intel but sort of stopped there. Well with Lynnfield and the P55 we start to see some of this happening. Nehalem brought the memory controller to the CPU and Lynnfield has brought a PCI-e controller there as well.
As you can see in the CPU diagram above there is a fully functional x16 PCI-e controller. This is capable of running up to two GPUs at x8 each and talks to the board through the use of the new Flexible Display Interface (FDI) and this is the precursor to having a GPU directly on the CPU.
Also with the P55 you see the I/O controller integrated with the Clock Buffer, and Display "head end". This significantly reduces the amount of real estate needed on the board.
This should also reduce overall power consumption and heat produced by the components on the motherboard.
But just because the graphics PCI-e have been pulled off of the board does not mean that the P55 is crippled. There are still eight PCI-e 2.0 x1 lanes for use, six available ports for SATA 3GB/s, 14 USB 2.0 ports (complete with USB 2.0 hub), and Intel High-Def audio.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Lord of the Rings 'Tolkien' biopic movie gets release date
- New Anthem gameplay details: story, progress & customizing
- VLC media player passes 3b downloads, headed for Switch/PS4
- Dead Cells moves 100,000 units within its Switch launch week
- Become a god in SMITE's launch trailer for Nintendo Switch
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media