Installation and Finished Product
The first thing we did was to put the washers onto the thumbscrews. This keeps the screws from accidentally cutting a trace on the back of the motherboard, and while they are knurled for easy use with your fingers, they also have a Phillips head on them so you can drive these screws all the way into the brackets.
We then took the Intel mounting brackets, making sure that all four end bits were set for LGA115X installations, and went ahead and attached them to the base of the cooler. At this point, we need to apply the TIM and do a bit of a balancing act to get the Brontes installed on the motherboard.
On the back of the motherboard, there is not a back plate to get in the way or to conflict with resistors, capacitors, solder points, or even storage drive slots which have all known to be an issue on some Mini-ITX boards back here. Initially, we did just install this cooler finger tight, but once everything is lined up, we took a screwdriver and drove the screws in until the threads stopped.
Above the motherboard, there isn't a need for washers of any sort. Because the brackets do not touch the motherboard when installed properly, there is no way for the Brontes to do any damage here either.
59mm of overall height is not much at all when it comes to a CPU cooler, and we can see the Brontes is ever so slightly peeking out over the RAM. This is what makes the Brontes such a good choice when it comes to installing systems into cases which leave very little room above the motherboard to sufficiently cool the CPU.
Initially, we just installed the cooler as it is in these images, to make it easy on us, as well as being able to show the cover plate once more. If the motherboard is horizontal inside of a chassis, any of the four ways it can be installed is fine, but if the motherboard is vertical, you do not want the pipes on the bottom as we have it here.
From this angle, we can see the cooler is close to the memory, and due to the height of most kits, this can cause some issues depending on the cooler's orientation. However, no matter which way you choose to install it, it is out of the way of the video card, and with Mini-ITX only supporting one slot, this is a major concern that we do not have to have.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Reeven Brontes RC-1001b CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA's purported Volta-based TITAN Xv spotted
- Joss Wheddon taking over 'Justice League' directing duty
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delay causes stock dive
- Destiny 2 on PC: no dedicated servers
- Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning