Benchmarks - 2 Drive Redundant Test
Synology has a feature called SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) and it allows you to mix disk capacity sizes. Our unit was tested with two identical drives, but the NAS ships in SHR mode which makes future upgrades to your drives very easy.
With just two drives users can't run RAID 5 or RAID 6, so you are limited to RAID 1 for data redundancy and RAID 0 for performance. In our tests we quickly learned there wasn't much performance difference between the two modes and as long as you don't need massive capacity you should keep your NAS in a redundant format for data protection.
Normally we test large drive NAS servers and appliances; it's been several years since we've tested a dual bay system. That is changing though as we now have three dual bay units in for review. We'll see how these smaller units fair by using the Synology DS212 as a baseline for performance.
The Synology DS212 was much faster than we expected and much faster than the last dual bay NAS we looked at. I was very surprised to see the unit achieving over 100MB/s in several of our tests. The numbers reached are what we expect from four and five bay systems and not small, inexpensive dual bay consumer appliances such as this one.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Top Memorial Day laptop deals with 7th Gen Kaby Lake
- New Dragon Age game could be big-budget, not RTS spinoff
- LeEco's crash in the US leaves hundreds unemployed
- Tekken 7 PC requirements revealed
- Huawei announces another low-end phone - the Y6 2017
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Benchmarked: CPU & GPU War
- NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)
- Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced Remote Control Review
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017