Benchmarks - 2 Drive Redundant Test
Synology has a feature called SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) and it allows you to mix disk capacity sizes. Our unit was tested with two identical drives, but the NAS ships in SHR mode which makes future upgrades to your drives very easy.
With just two drives users can't run RAID 5 or RAID 6, so you are limited to RAID 1 for data redundancy and RAID 0 for performance. In our tests we quickly learned there wasn't much performance difference between the two modes and as long as you don't need massive capacity you should keep your NAS in a redundant format for data protection.
Normally we test large drive NAS servers and appliances; it's been several years since we've tested a dual bay system. That is changing though as we now have three dual bay units in for review. We'll see how these smaller units fair by using the Synology DS212 as a baseline for performance.
The Synology DS212 was much faster than we expected and much faster than the last dual bay NAS we looked at. I was very surprised to see the unit achieving over 100MB/s in several of our tests. The numbers reached are what we expect from four and five bay systems and not small, inexpensive dual bay consumer appliances such as this one.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda sale: $13 Doom, cheap ESO and more
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds continues titanic growth
- Next-gen Hololens to have custom AI chip
- The OnePlus 5 8GB now available for immediate dispatch
- Microsoft Paint killed off with new Creators Update
- Comic-Con 2017 trailer round-up: MCU vs DCEU vs the rest
- graphics card not detected via riser cable
- Maximum ratio (x39) with 4,06GHz for i7 4770 on GA Z87X-UD3H?
- Supermicro SuperO Booster Software Guide
- How to make one network using 2 routers
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4