The Synology DS212
Here we get our first look at the Synology DS212 NAS appliance. The piano black cover hides the two 3.5" hard drives that shipped with our system. On the right side a set of four LEDs light up and give the user a quick glance status update on the system. Further down we see the front USB 2.0 port and the SD card reader as well as the green icon button that allows you to copy the data from the two front ports easily. A power button is at the very bottom and is also lit by an LED.
The DS212 is as attractive as it us functional. On the sides Synology has their company logo.
The unit is cooled by one large fan to keep the audible noise down. The power supply is outside of the main box and comes in the form of a power brick. Dual USB 3.0 ports are on the back side as is the gigabit Ethernet port.
Here we see the front without the cover on it. The cover allows air to flow over the drives and acts as a sound diffuser as well.
Included in the package is the power brick, power cable and a decent length Ethernet cable.
After pulling the drives I was very excited to see SAS connectors in the DS212 since I have several 3TB SAS drives. The DS212 does not support SAS though, so my drives are back on the shelf.
One of the most overlooked areas on NAS servers is the drive sleds. Here you want plastic instead of aluminum or steel because the plastic absorbs vibration and doesn't transfer it to the drive like the metal sleds. Synology also uses rubber grommets between the drive and the sled, another vibration arrestor.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to IntelÃ'Â® Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance