The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD
Here we get our first look at the LaCie Rugged enclosure. The Rugged is made up of three external pieces. The first two are the clamshell aluminum structure and then a thick rubber goes around the aluminum to help protect the drive in case of an accidental drop. The rubber also keeps the Rugged from sliding when placed on a smooth surface.
The USB 3.0 mini cable and supplemental power cable plug into the same side of the Rugged.
The bottom of the enclosure is nearly identical to the top. Here we can see the rubber that keeps the drive from sliding around and brushed aluminum texture of the drive.
With a little patience you can take the enclosure apart and change the drive. Some power users who have SSDs sitting around might find this useful and replace the 500GB Hitachi drive with a previous generation SSD.
USB 3.0's electronics are not all that complicated and fit on a small PCB just like USB 2.0 enclosures.
The actual HDD is kept in place with four rubber buffers that protect the drive from shock damage.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SpeedTree 8 to be shown at GDC 2017 on Amazon Lumberyard
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR could be ripped off the market soon
- Intel rocked to its Core over Ryzen, price drops begin
- Corsair's Lighting Node Pro: taking control of your LEDs
- Project CARS 2 latest screenshots look amazing
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q: Crazy Fast Gaming @ 1080p 240Hz
- ASRock launches a new era of performance with AMD Ryzen motherboards
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications