The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD
Here we get our first look at the LaCie Rugged enclosure. The Rugged is made up of three external pieces. The first two are the clamshell aluminum structure and then a thick rubber goes around the aluminum to help protect the drive in case of an accidental drop. The rubber also keeps the Rugged from sliding when placed on a smooth surface.
The USB 3.0 mini cable and supplemental power cable plug into the same side of the Rugged.
The bottom of the enclosure is nearly identical to the top. Here we can see the rubber that keeps the drive from sliding around and brushed aluminum texture of the drive.
With a little patience you can take the enclosure apart and change the drive. Some power users who have SSDs sitting around might find this useful and replace the 500GB Hitachi drive with a previous generation SSD.
USB 3.0's electronics are not all that complicated and fit on a small PCB just like USB 2.0 enclosures.
The actual HDD is kept in place with four rubber buffers that protect the drive from shock damage.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dishonored 2 live-action gameplay trailer looks awesome
- Sony hires new director for the 'Uncharted' feature film
- 'Indiana Jones 5' loses co-creator George Lucas
- Unlock Android N's full potential with this top course
- Xiaomi's VR headset looks good and costs only $29
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards