The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD
Here we get our first look at the LaCie Rugged enclosure. The Rugged is made up of three external pieces. The first two are the clamshell aluminum structure and then a thick rubber goes around the aluminum to help protect the drive in case of an accidental drop. The rubber also keeps the Rugged from sliding when placed on a smooth surface.
The USB 3.0 mini cable and supplemental power cable plug into the same side of the Rugged.
The bottom of the enclosure is nearly identical to the top. Here we can see the rubber that keeps the drive from sliding around and brushed aluminum texture of the drive.
With a little patience you can take the enclosure apart and change the drive. Some power users who have SSDs sitting around might find this useful and replace the 500GB Hitachi drive with a previous generation SSD.
USB 3.0's electronics are not all that complicated and fit on a small PCB just like USB 2.0 enclosures.
The actual HDD is kept in place with four rubber buffers that protect the drive from shock damage.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 500GB External HDD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tach]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GAINWARD's GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix spotted with black/red/gold look
- Learn how to make Android apps with this course bundle
- ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 teased, to be unveiled very soon
- EVGA's GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked ACX 3.0 spotted, looks awesome
- ZOTAC's new GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! spotted, a new record breaker?
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Asus S300CA screen flickering/stripes
- Asrock MB front HD audio doesn't work (rear works)
- GA-H97-Gaming 3 trying to Raid Two 950pro's via PCIE Apadpter
- GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt not recognized
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles
- Cryorig teases two new cases bound for Computex 2016
- Toshiba launches the OCZ RD400 NVMe SSD series
- Colorful & Bykski announces first water block for GTX 1080 Founders Edition